Author Topic: Help refresh my memory guys - is Davis Cup Tennis any good?  (Read 254 times)

jimid2

I've kind of been on a little TG16 games buying binge over the last week, scoring a bunch of old favourites off of E(vil)bay. I'm trying to reel it in a bit now, and just stick to the final few I know I love but haven't grabbed yet (Ninja Spirit, Military Madness, Air Zonk, R-Type, Sinistron and a couple others), but I'm wondering if I should add Davis Cup Tennis to the list... I don't know if it's "rose coloured glasses", but I remember really liking this game back in the day. My recollection is that it was well animated, with nice smooth controls and fairly realistic tennis action. Of course, I've got Virtual Tennis on the PSP now, but I'm thinking it could be fun to revisit Davis Cup Tennis, too. Still, I don't want to spend the cash if it's likely to suffer so badly in comparison to later games that I'll just shelve it and never play it again... What's the concensus on this game? Is it a good 'un? or is nostalgia getting the better of my critical faculties?

PhilBiker

Re: Help refresh my memory guys - is Davis Cup Tennis any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:43:33 AM »
My long-ago memory tells me that this was a fun game two player.  Never played it one player.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

Billkwando

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »
I registered just to answer LOL. ;)

Yeah man it's good. It's like a prehistoric Virtua Tennis. I wouldn't pay more than like $10 for it though. I got mine with my system, so I got lucky.

The password system for this board is like Fort Knox:

"Please enter a password with both capital and lowercase letters and numbers. Please make sure that the letters and numbers are not sequential, and that the letters do not spell anything, especially your birthdate or mother's maiden name. Please verify that your password is not the same as your username, and doesn't consist of, or contain, any palindrome. Please verify that your password does not contain the numeric combinations '420', '911', '411', '5150' or '2112'. This password is nontransferable and does not confer any rights to said username, either express or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Some restrictions may apply."

Well maybe not quite, but you know what I mean..... ;)

Glad to be here. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:07:27 AM by Billkwando »

td741

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:23:07 AM »
It's a good game...

At one point I had the HuCard and SCD versions of the game.  There is little difference between both versions (I think there is one read-book audio track on the CD version that is used for the title screen.)

kungfukid

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
Yeah Davis cup is pretty good, only criticism I'd have is the difficulty level - the first couple of rounds lul you into a false sense of security letting you win really easily and then out of nowhere you get beaten hardly scoring a point! I've only got the cd version an the sound is great for it.