Author Topic: oldschoolgamer.ca "Is their work any good?"  (Read 445 times)

agranger5

oldschoolgamer.ca "Is their work any good?"
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
I have a Turbo Duo with sound problems.  Can anyone vouch for the work that oldschoolgamer in canada performs.  They also do region switchs according to an email I received from them.  Does anyone have a better suggestion for repair work on a Turbo Duo?
Man, I wish Multimods was up and running.  They are the best!

Black Tiger

Re: oldschoolgamer.ca "Is their work any good?"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »
I have a Turbo Duo with sound problems.  Can anyone vouch for the work that oldschoolgamer in canada performs.  They also do region switchs according to an email I received from them.  Does anyone have a better suggestion for repair work on a Turbo Duo?
Man, I wish Multimods was up and running.  They are the best!

Do they even service Turbo Duo's?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

agranger5

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »
Yes, they do service Turbos.  Check out their site at http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/information.aspx?SID=15

guyjin

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:53:17 AM »
i smell spam.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

td741

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »
I don't think it's spam... 

I've dealt with OldSchoolGamer before, but I haven't really had anything repaired.  I traded some games for a modded system (non-Turbo related).  The system works great a little over a year or two after and I definitely can't complain.

I have talked to him about getting more repair work done and he was very open and honest about his ability (i.e. if he's done it countless times before or just never tried it).  I haven't yet sent anything to repair yet, since I want to give it a go myself (now if there was enough time in a day.)

rolins

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »
If you have sound problem on a Duo I wouldn't trust anybody else except D-Lite. He's the only person I know who has some experience in area. I know there are others, but who else?

The guys at OSG can replace Duo cd lasers, but that doesn't solve the audio issue.

termis

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »

agranger5

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:07:34 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies and help.  I have checked these forums and I do understand about the capacitor problem.  I just don't feel comfortable doing the soldering myself.  I would love for D-lite to do the work, but I think he has been out of commision for at least 6 months.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  An interesting addition to all of this info is that I called Turbo Zone Direct yesterday and they said that currently the only repair service that had been "steady and of good report" recently was "oldschoolgamer".  He said everything he had heard about them was good.  Once again, this is the best forum to read about these things on, so any response postive or negative is appreciated.

thewestexit

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
I have dealt with Steve from OSG a few times, he's always done great work for me.  He's fixed a couple Duos for me and a whole lot of Neo cart systems as well.  In fact I plan on sending a couple Duos and Saturns off to him soon to see if he can save them :0
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth

rolins

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
I have dealt with Steve from OSG a few times, he's always done great work for me.  He's fixed a couple Duos for me and a whole lot of Neo cart systems as well.  In fact I plan on sending a couple Duos and Saturns off to him soon to see if he can save them :0

Knowing that, my confidence in OSG has went up.   :)

What sorts of repairs did they do to your Duos? I like to know exactly what they can fix.

Dark Fact

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 04:57:07 AM »
Their operations only seem to be in Alberta and Kansas.  This isn't good.  I have a couple of old Atari joysticks that haven't been repaired in a couple of decades as well as a pair of NES control pads that are in need of a refurbishing.  If these guys had a depot in Winnipeg, my prayers would've been answered.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

thewestexit

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »

Knowing that, my confidence in OSG has went up.   :)

What sorts of repairs did they do to your Duos? I like to know exactly what they can fix.

Just about anything that needs done really... internal power supply, controller ports, AV ports, motherboards... one Duo I had was completely fried but OSG managed to resurrect it.  Out of about 10 machines I've sent, I think only 2-3 weren't saveable, one was a Saturn (needed a new internal PSU and it was a rare part) and a Neo cart system or two.  So far all the Duos I've sent off have been able to be fixed.
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth

omnedon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words from everyone here who has dealt with my company and myself (OSG). Considering how big North America is, and here we have two completely unsolicited positives about our service and practices. I'm honoured.  :) We work very hard to earn those opinions.

OSG services more than just NEC consoles. We service virtually all game consoles, and as a result, do not have a single focus. That means that those techs that mod only NEO GEO's, or mod or repair only NEC consoles have more experience with those consoles. The lion's share of OSG's revenue is from the local repair of an endless parade of NGC, PS2's, PSP,s, Xboxes, and Xbox360's. We also service iPods. All service comes with 90 day warrantees.

As far as NEC consoles go, we have in stock parts for DUO's, DUO-RX's, and TG16 consoles. We have had success repairing most every DUO that is submitted to us. We have also successfully repaired a number of TE's, but have very limited TE parts in stock. TurboCD units (CDROM2) are very hard to repair, and we have virtually no spare parts on hand for those systems.

In my opinion, as the owner of OSG, and OSG's main tech, Dean (D-Lite) is by far the most knowledgeable about NEC consoles. When I hit a snag, Dean is the first one I would contact. Dean and I have obtained difficult to source parts together in the past, and I would not hesitate to partner with him again in the future, if the need arose.

We've been VERY busy with modern system repairs as of late, and it's modern system repairs that pay the bills. This has slowed down our classic system service a bit, but we are working on addressing this in the coming months. Fact of the matter is, some classic system mods and repairs are impossible to make a business case for. As OSG grows, dealing with these problems will likely be our biggest challenge.

thewestexit has systems here right now, that I plan to have evaluated within the week. agrangers DUO is fixed, modded, and awaiting his response so we can return ship it. BTW, Andy's DUO sound fix was not fixed by the outlined repair in this forum. In our experience, about one in 5 DUO's audio failures can be repaired by following the instructions in this forum. It is that experience with multiple DUO's and different failures, that makes us able to do what we do, to give you value for your money.

We offer mail order service. ALL services are performed in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, where OSG is based. For those of you who that is not local, I'm sorry, but I have to be somewhere.  :D Those who find OSG local sometimes complain that OSG is not next door to them, so I guess you can't please everybody.

Estimates are free. Shipping is not. Every effort is made to get you excellent reliability, and good value. I'm a gamer and collector myself, so I understand. OSG's focus is on quality, service and reliability.

If you are wondering if OSG can beat the cost of you DIY'ing your project, well, if you have to ask that question, you may not have the brain cells to tackle a DIY job.  :wink: If your time has value to you, and you value quality service, that stands behind it's work, then OSG is an option you should consider. If a repair that costs less than half of replacement, and boast new parts installed, and a 90 day warranty which we've been known to honour outside the 90 day period, appeals to you, consider OSG.

I plan to offer services for classic systems as long as OSG exists. Thanks again for the kind words.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:34:33 AM by omnedon »
Contact chop5 for any NEC console services.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
I think people around here were wondering if you do region and s-video mods for Duo decks. If possible,make  alist of what you do,and post it with a price list. That would help boost the sales of repair and mod services.

omnedon

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
Right now we only offer repairs, on the TE, and repairs and region mods on the DUO, DUO RX, and TG16. More info about all of the systems we service is at our website, which is www.oldschoolgamer.com

We do not post prices in forums. Prices can change over time. Serious inquiries can be sent to us via e-mail, or at our toll free number at 1 877 447 7210. For long distance inquireies do not leave voice mail, looking for a call back. Send us an e-mail.

PS!

Estimates are IMPOSSIBLE without evaluating the unit in our shop. General ballpark figures can be given with guessing, but that's the best we can do. If we could give solid estimates on your console sight unseen, we would likely find a more lucrative use for our psychic abilities than fixing old game consoles.  :) The best we can do is a FREE estimate and evaluation. We can't get cheaper than free.  :P

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:34:53 AM by omnedon »
Contact chop5 for any NEC console services.