Author Topic: Time Cruise: better than the Crushes?  (Read 794 times)

nodtveidt

Time Cruise: better than the Crushes?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 12:36:52 PM »
No idea. Could be a SMS game for all we know...

PhilBiker

Re: Time Cruise: better than the Crushes?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »
Resurrecting a very old thread....

Devil's Crush is the best video pinball game I've ever experienced on any platform.
Alien Crush is a pretty close second
Time Cruise is good, but not as good as the Crushes.

Time cruise is fun, but the field of play is too big, there's too much going on.  The bonus round where you have to roll the ball around is completely impossible.  The others are neat.  The best thing about DC is that other than the moving sprites, it feels like a real pinball game, and that includes the size of all three levels of the playfield compared to the ball and flippers being roughly equlivalent to a real pinball game.  The bonus levels are varied, the graphics are terriffic, the sounds are great.  Time Cruise has two very cool songs and a super cool "options" menu, I like the optional song better than the default one.  TC is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's no Crush.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

termis

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
I can never get into video pinball games.  They just aren't the same on a monitor as opposed to the real thing.

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:53 AM »
I can never get into video pinball games.  They just aren't the same on a monitor as opposed to the real thing.
There is a big difference between real pinball and video pinball. I prefer real pinball too of course since I can get into the feel of it more, but video pinball has it's advantages too since it can practically perform the impossible :D . That's why I like video pinball games like Devil's Crush since it's not trying to be like real pinball and become much more of a fantasy. When a video pinball game is designed to be just like real pinball, I don't quite get the point to it.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

shubibiman

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »
Time Cruise is not a bad game but I prefer Devil's Crush by far, as the musics are much better and the game itself faster than Time Cruise. Plus, you can save your game while playing Devil's Crush. In Time Cruise, if you wish to see the ending, you must play aaaaall the way through and it takes a loooong time (something like 5 to 6 hours, depending on how many bonuses you get). Not to mention that sometimes, the ball's physics is awkward whereas Devil's Crush's one is much more realistic.
Time Cruise's bonus stages are really cool, though.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Turbo D

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:44:34 AM »
Devils Crush all the way! It's just so awesome. I took a person who doesn't like video games, introduced them to devils crush, and they literally sat on my couch playing it for at least 2 hours, no Bull! But on the other hand alien crush rocked too. I could never get that cool rock song out of my head after playing it,  :lol:.

ccovell

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 02:35:23 PM »
I prefer Devil's Crush too.  Everything feels, looks, and sounds perfect, whereas Alien Crush feels a bit sparse, and the ball control in Time Cruise II is not perfect.

The original Time Cruise was in development for the PC-Engine but was cancelled/evolved into Time Cruise II.  I have some pics in magazines of the original Time Cruise, and it looks way different.  I'll try to post some pics when I can.

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
But now wasn't Time Cruise also originally a real pinball machine too?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 03:02:17 PM »
You know what would be really cool; a real pinball machine modeled after Devil's Crush. That would kick so much ass!

nat

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:08 AM »
Quote from: ccovell link=topic=732.msg35794#msg35794

The original Time Cruise was in development for the PC-Engine but was cancelled/evolved into Time Cruise II.  I have some pics in magazines of the original Time Cruise, and it looks way different.  I'll try to post some pics when I can.

You're wrong.

Time Cruise II came out before Time Cruise I, duh.

The reason Time Cruise II has a copyright date of 1991 and Time Cruise is dated 1992 is because the developers at FACE originally released Time Cruise in 1992. After doing so, they thought how cool it would be to have a sequel that actually came out before the original game seeing as how this was, well, Time Cruise.

So they went back in time to 1991 and released Time Cruise II. There was another planned sequel, Time Cruise III (these are the screenshots you speak of), that was actually scheduled for 1989 but there was a problem.

The head honchos at FACE in 1989 were of a different mind than those who were running the show in '91 and '92 and weren't as keen on the whole time travel idea. In fact, they weren't big pinball fans at all. You see, the problem with traveling backwards in time with corporate schemes in mind is that no one is aware of your plans when you show up. Long story short, the CEO at FACE in '89 thought these guys were full of shit and told them to get lost. He had, after all, never met them before in his life. The disgruntled group managed to show some screenshots to other game houses at the time in hopes someone else might pick them up. Some of these shots made their way to a gaming magazine and were promoted as the upcoming game "Time Cruise" since the *real* "Time Cruise" and "Time Cruise II" hadn't actually been created yet, even though they had.

Nothing ever came of the proposed Time Cruise III. The developers ended up joining Pack-In Video to replace the team that was fired for creating Deep Blue.

PhilBiker

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »
Quote from: ccovell link=topic=732.msg35794#msg35794

You're wrong.

Time Cruise II came out before Time Cruise I, duh.

The reason Time Cruise II has a copyright date of 1991 and Time Cruise is dated 1992 is because the developers at FACE originally released Time Cruise in 1992. After doing so, they thought how cool it would be to have a sequel that actually came out before the original game seeing as how this was, well, Time Cruise.

So they went back in time to 1991 and released Time Cruise II. There was another planned sequel, Time Cruise III (these are the screenshots you speak of), that was actually scheduled for 1989 but there was a problem.

The head honchos at FACE in 1989 were of a different mind than those who were running the show in '91 and '92 and weren't as keen on the whole time travel idea. In fact, they weren't big pinball fans at all. You see, the problem with traveling backwards in time with corporate schemes in mind is that no one is aware of your plans when you show up. Long story short, the CEO at FACE in '89 thought these guys were full of shit and told them to get lost. He had, after all, never met them before in his life. The disgruntled group managed to show some screenshots to other game houses at the time in hopes someone else might pick them up. Some of these shots made their way to a gaming magazine and were promoted as the upcoming game "Time Cruise" since the *real* "Time Cruise" and "Time Cruise II" hadn't actually been created yet, even though they had.

Nothing ever came of the proposed Time Cruise III. The developers ended up joining Pack-In Video to replace the team that was fired for creating Deep Blue.
I wonder if Marty McFly had dissapearing screen shots fo the game in the 50s.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

ccovell

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 05:25:09 AM »
Ahhh... I get it... video pinball games came first -- since they were 2D and were the most primitive.  But the more back you go in time, the more realistic pinball games became, until the time of the '50s and '60s when pinball games were actual physical 3-D tables, with real bumpers and so on.  It all makes sense now...