Author Topic: Turbo CD Question  (Read 352 times)

BonkThis

Turbo CD Question
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:32:12 AM »
There is one Turbo CD question I've had since a kid but I never knew anyone who had the cd besides me or anyone else for that matter who could answer it.

I had the regular TG16+CD Addon. I remember on the box it showed you could play, TG16CD games, CD's and something else, kinda reminded me of like music videos. I could swear the box showed something like a hendrix video playing kinda the same way youd play a music cd on the system. I never really understood what this was or even what cd's contained the feature it claimed to promote.

I'm sure someone out there understands my ramblings O:)

SignOfZeta

Re: Turbo CD Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »
You're thinking of CD+Gs. The "G" is for graphics. Basically the CD plays while very slowly updating, low quality graphics appear on the screen. These CD+Gs were also playable on the Sega CD (which came with a CD+G sampler), the Saturn, and probably some other systems.

You can still buy CD+Gs, but they are all for karaoke nowadays. I think the best theoretical use for them is opera (because of the subtitles you can put at the bottom), and some of these were produced, but I never had one, and basically the format is dead for anything other than karaoke now, as far as I know.

I have...one CD+G, I think. Its the CD Single for "Fly the Sky", the opening theme of G Gundam. The graphics are less than impressive. :) Probably one of the best CD+Gs easily availible in the US is the first album from Information Society. I bought it on vinyl, but I have watched the CD+G all the way through. I'm not sure if newer pressings of this CD still have the "+G" parts though.

BonkThis

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 03:49:31 AM »
yea!! Thats it. So it was part of the actuall audio CD for some CD's. I know I tried every cd I had but no luck. Thanks for the info :wink:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
The only CD+G I have is the one that came with the Sega CD.  It even works on the Turbo and looks exactly the same!  Technology is so amazing.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
CD+Gs rule! I love Victor Ireland's long, nerdy article about them in an issue of Turbo Play. That man was really fascinated by the technology.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:05:13 PM »
I bought Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits because of the CD+G feature after watching the sample on the Turbo-CD disc.

I was already a Hendrix fan by that point, but wouldn't have bought that greatest hits disc if it weren't for the Turbo CD.  :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

BonkThis

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »
I bought Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits because of the CD+G feature after watching the sample on the Turbo-CD disc.

I was already a Hendrix fan by that point, but wouldn't have bought that greatest hits disc if it weren't for the Turbo CD.  :)

ahh thank you, I new there was something to do with hendrix when it came to the CD+G O:)

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »
I want to get that Talking Heads CD+G from 1982, can't remember which album it was. I think I remember reading in that Turbo Play article that it was the first CD+G, don't quote me on that though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
That's funny. The first CD+G I ever have seen was the Hendrix Hits also. My friend had it when he got his Sega CD. This was in 1994 when he showed it to me.

Remember those Sega CD make your own music video releases? There was C.C. Music Factory, Kriss Kross and I think Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. What silly music.

This rememinds me of the movie CB4 with Chris Rock, Damn funny movie. There was a music video part that had a guy just like C.C. Music Factory/M.C. Hammer, "I dance....", and that is all he pretty much says in the song wearing baggy pants. Plus, Charlie Murphy from Dave Chappelle Show is in it as a drug dealer acting real intimidating.