Author Topic: Monster Rancher for the PCEngine?  (Read 436 times)

guyjin

Monster Rancher for the PCEngine?
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »
Of course, no such thing exists. I would like to be able to play the only PS game worth owning on another system, but I will have to keep dreaming.

However, would it have been even theoretically possible for a PCE to Disc swap, as the playstation did?

Maybe this sort of question belongs in the dev forum, but no one reads that.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Monster Rancher for the PCEngine?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »
Yeah, it's probably possible, since, IIRC, you do the same thing with CD Battle Hikari No Yuushatachi.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
You can swap CDs in Kabuki Den too on the worldmap so you can play audio CDs while leveling up :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:21 PM »
With CD Battle, you actually somehow make your character, by putting in a different cd, it's been awhile, but that's what I recall.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »
WHOA, more information on that would be appreciated! That sounds incredibly interesting.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:44:42 AM »
It sounds more interesting than it really is.  Your character stats (hp, mp, spells, and weapons) will change based on what discs are inserted.  You just keep inserting different discs until two parties of four are made; then a standard turn based rpg battle begins.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:47:37 PM »
I always wanted Monster Rancher 2. I never played the game (except for the subpar GBA version), but I watched the animé like it was required for my continued existance, and somewhere in my closet I have ALL the figurines. Those same figurines had a sheet that you could fill out and recieve a MONSTER RANCHER 2 DEMO DISC! OMFG HOW I WANTED THAT DEMO DISC! I sent off the form, and all I could think about was raising and battling monsters made from my own CDs! OH IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS!

I never got the disc. I waited and waited for the delivery period, and after that I waited some more. After a year I figured out that it would never come.

Ever wonder why I'm such a jaded a$$hole? BECAUSE TECMO CHEATED ME, A LOYAL FUTURE-FAN OF THEIR GAME, AND A PART OF ME DIED THAT DAY.

So f*ck Tecmo. f*ck THEM. Even if I got MR2, my acrimony for them would not be staved.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:53:31 PM by Kitsunexus »

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 06:20:34 PM »
It sounds more interesting than it really is.  Your character stats (hp, mp, spells, and weapons) will change based on what discs are inserted.  You just keep inserting different discs until two parties of four are made; then a standard turn based rpg battle begins.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
You just made it sound even more interesting :D . What discs do you insert exactly? Does it come with seperate discs or do you just swap any random CD/game?

sunteam_paul

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »
You just made it sound even more interesting :D . What discs do you insert exactly? Does it come with seperate discs or do you just swap any random CD/game?

You use any random CD, but trust me. It is utterly, utterly devoid of any interest whatsoever.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

esteban

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 02:51:54 AM »

You use any random CD, but trust me. It is utterly, utterly devoid of any interest whatsoever.
Keranu, it does have some novelty value, despite what these naysayers are posting. Of course, the novelty wears thin very quickly. Hudson used a similar concept for Robopon -- folks were encouraged to use infrared remote controls to generate "random" stuff in the game (as opposed to using music CD's to achieve the same effect).

I'm sure there are many other games that use similar gimmicks, but I can't think of them right now.

|    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 03:06:08 AM »
I used to watch that cool monster rancher cartoon after school, but I never played the game :(

Kitsunexus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 09:52:47 AM »
Robopon

That game was a waste of $30... >_<

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »

Keranu, it does have some novelty value, despite what these naysayers are posting. Of course, the novelty wears thin very quickly. Hudson used a similar concept for Robopon -- folks were encouraged to use infrared remote controls to generate "random" stuff in the game (as opposed to using music CD's to achieve the same effect).

I'm sure there are many other games that use similar gimmicks, but I can't think of them right now.

That sounds extremely rad too!