Author Topic: Best way to make backup copies of games?  (Read 372 times)

cho_aniki

Best way to make backup copies of games?
« on: May 29, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »

Hello all,
                  I am leaving Canada and returning to my home country of South Africa at the end of June, and have decided not to take my video game collection with me due to the risk of theft.  My stuff will be kept at my mother-in-law's in Japan pending a solution.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I have started making backup copies of my CD games which I will be taking with me.
I have been following the instructions on the Necstasy website (using CDR Win to make a .bin image of the game) and then Daemon Tools combined with Clone CD to burn the game.  I have made 4 so far and the copies seem to be perfect.  If the owner of the website is on this forum, thank you so much, your website is very useful!

I realise this is perhaps not the best place to ask this question, but I was wondering:  is the procedure for burning NEO GEO CD games the same as for Pc engine CD games?  If it can be done with relative ease, I would like to burn my Neo Geo CD games as well once I am done with the Pc engine stuff.   

I am not much of a computer buff, so if anyone here can explain the procedure, it would be much appreciated. 

Best regards, Cho_Aniki

SNKNostalgia

Re: Best way to make backup copies of games?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 05:45:10 PM »
Neo Geo CD games are less complicated than burning TG16/Turbo Duo CD games. There is however one problem with some NGCD games. There is copy protection on certain game titles. There are two types of copy protections for Neo CDs.

1 - In game copy protection: A protection in which will give you a warning message for software piracy and won't let you finish playing the game (Robo Army it does it to you on the beginning of the last level).

2 - Neo Geo CDZ protection: This basically is a different protection so you won't be able to even boot these certain games up at all if you are using a Neo Geo CDZ system instead of the regular slower speed Neo Geo CD.

The in game protection and CDZ protection can both be on some games or it is just one of the protections. The CDZ protection usually applies to newer games after 1995. Here is a list of games that have CDZ protection for sure: Art of Fighting 3, Metal Slug 2, Ninja Warriors, King of Fighters 96 up to 99, Iron Clad Brinkin 'Ger, all of the Real Bout Fatal Fury games and others. A lot of these titles also have the in game protection.

Pm me and I can upload you a crack file tutorial through E-mail. It is pretty easy to do this.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:26:21 PM »
Huh, I never knew that!  I have pretty much nothing but Japanese versions of NG cd games, so I've tried burning US versions, so, well, their in english.  I have yet to get one to work.  Though, I am using them on an emulator(since I had to return my NGCD, as it was defective), but, you wouldn't think that an emulator would not allow you to play cdr's. :?

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:29:13 PM »
Just use the Sega Cue maker program to burn Neo Geo CDs with the right track setup. As for using US CD's, it doesn't matter. They are the same exact copies, Japanese or US. It is the console that decides if you play in English or Japanese. You can easily do a region mod switch by soldering it to the jumper points in the system.

As for the emulators, they will play anything unless it is simply burned wrong. What emulator are you using? Also, you know you can a Neo Geo CD system for dirt cheap these days. A single speed top loader can go for $100 or less, and a CDZ can go for atleast $150. I recomend the CDZ if you get one that is in good working order to begin with.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:07:30 PM »
Hmm, never thought about that.  Though, there are a few games IIRC that don't have the english option.  I think all the early games IIRC like Blue's Journey, Samurai Spirits, & Super Spy.

As for a system, I had the single speed, & I'm waiting on a friend who was going to sell me his with a grip of games.  I'm not sure about the CDZ.  I've heard something bad about it & it burning out or something to that effect.

And the emu?  Let's see.......looks like it's called Neocd031.

cho_aniki

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »

I get the impression these stories about the Neo CDZ burning up are a load of kak. 

I've had my CDZ for a long time now and used it extensively, and I have never experienced any problems whatsoever.  I suspect these are just false rumours that have been spread for the wrong reasons, and I certainly would encourage anyone who enjoys Neo Geo Cd games to acquire an Neo Geo CDZ system, as it's definitely a great step up from the two other Cd systems (faster, a lot more compact, and made from more solid materials).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »
My CDZ is very reliable after 6 years of owning it still. The trick is just to get one that is in good working condition and take good care of it. The only problems I ever heard of is overheating to cause lens problems if your in a hot enviroment and/or play way too long at a time. Lets put it this way, it is less likely to die on you than a first launch X-Box 360 or PS2.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:16:28 PM by SNKNostalgia »