Author Topic: What is the big difference between Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special?  (Read 1612 times)

SNKNostalgia

KOF XI is finally comming out for the US PS2 system somtime. I hear it is the best KOF since KOF 99 from SNK themselves. So, that is definitely something to look forward to.

As for the art work that SNK does, I think Shinkiro is awesome. He does portrait style art. He mostly does cover art since it is just what he does. Look at the detail in the veins, muscles and sweat that he does. The faces do have a similar look, but shit man. Just look at anime period. They all have the big eyes, small nose, elastic mouths and the exagerated breast. Now some anime has different styles, but that is because there are different artist. SNK actually had atleast a few more artist that did stuff for like Fatal Fury 2 + Special, Garou Mark of The Wolves, Samurai Shodown 4 and Metal Slug. Thats not including the games made by ADK, which made almost all of its games for the Neo Geo.

BTW, Shinkiro works for capcom now. Did you look at the Dino Crisis gun game, Resident Evil gun game and Capcom vs SNK? He even did the GBA version of Final Fight's cover.

Michael Helgeson

Yea,I was about to say,I thought he left over to the Dark Side a few years back to keep a steady pay check coming in. I like his work alot too. If you are referring to SNK vs Capcom Chaos,I thought the sprites were fine. Some ha d agritty look,but the animation was really nice over all. The only thing I really hated was lack of people in the backgrounds. Made it kinda look sharewareish or unfinished.

GUTS

Ugh I hate that guy, the portrait style is so out of place in video games.  He's good at what he does, but it just looks f*cking retarded, he should get a job doing portraits of the emperor or something instead.

Keranu

KOF XI is finally comming out for the US PS2 system somtime. I hear it is the best KOF since KOF 99 from SNK themselves. So, that is definitely something to look forward to.
Personally I found KoF'99 to be the worst KoF.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MrFulci

I haven't played much KoF '99, though when I've been playing a KoF game lately it's been KoF 2000. Decent fighter.

KoF XI is set for a release in the US, SNK lists it on their, "coming soon" page, along with 2 other titles, http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/in-development.php

XI also has a release coming for the PAL areas, it's due to be released late June. After that, pretty much the rest of the world will have that game, with the exception of North America.

From what I've seen, it looks like decent fun.

Currently, Magic Sword on Capcom Classics Volume 2 has sold me on a Playstation 2, hahha. KoF XI would have done the same, Atomiswave stuff is too pricey, years from now I may look into the Atomiswave version. I'll hold off on purchasing a "good" joystick for the PS2 'til KoF XI is released. In the meantime, the cheapy joystick will do fine for the classic game collections discs.

I just hope it's released in the US soon, otherwise I may end up ordering the game while I'm out of the US so it's sitting around when I return.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

termis

BTW, is there really a definitive KOF out there?  I hear 98 and '02 gets the most love from majority KOF players - is this generally true?

Keranu

I haven't been able to put good time in '2002, but KoF'98 is a perfect competitive fighting game. Casual gamers might not like it because it doesn't really have a story and the backgrounds aren't as creative as the other games, but the gameplay is perfection. I've probably put more time into KoF'98 than any other game from all the practicing and playing against other people. The gameplay is so incredibly deep and I'm always learning something new from it, it's like learning a martial art or something.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

Why do they make new games almost every year though? Is there a valid reason for this or is it just them milking the series?

Keranu

They don't make them each year anymore I don't think, but I don't think they were milking the series from '94-98 because each game kept getting better in those years and really made solid improvements, but after '98 things took some strange turns and just didn't come out right.

MrFulci

For about the same reason there are sequels to Final Fantasy, Sports, Mario, etc games neary every year.

After a while you figure out most of quirks of a game, if the game has enough of a following/sales a sequel may be made in which they change things up, add new characters, remove some, sometimes codes for special moves are changed, new ones are added, some are removed, etc.

Something new to work with. That's what I look for in fighter sequels.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Joe Redifer

The reason they do the yearly thing is because they wanted to become synonymous with John Madden Football in the respect that it is increasingly difficult to tell them apart from title alone and people will sell the old version faster than they can buy the new one and flood used game shops and thrift stores with old, unwanted and outdated games that are meant to be played for one specific year and then discarded, further filling our landfills and causing pollution which makes Al Gore extremely angry.

SNKNostalgia

That is why I thought SNK actually was doing it right with games. In most of their games they made major improvements in just a year. Look at KOF 94 and then KOF 97, you can see the long way the series came in just 3 years. I personally like KOF 96 and 97 the most since the fighting system is solid, top notch graphics/music and had really damn good story with great endings. SNK did put most of their effort in the KOF games, so the Samshow, Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting games kinda suffered a little because of this. They still did a good job with most of them.

The main problem later on was that 2d gaming in general was dying as well as the arcade industry itself. That was a double wammy for SNK and even capcom, which is why SNK merged with Aruze Ent. So, games like Koudelka, Psycho Soldier and KOF Kyo was made for the PS1. Same for Capcom evolving to 3D with Resident Evil and others. Just think about how the Neo Geo has been going strong for 13 years like that. Well, really 8 years is more like it though.

nat

The reason they do the yearly thing is because they wanted to become synonymous with John Madden Football in the respect that it is increasingly difficult to tell them apart from title alone and people will sell the old version faster than they can buy the new one and flood used game shops and thrift stores with old, unwanted and outdated games that are meant to be played for one specific year and then discarded, further filling our landfills and causing pollution which makes Al Gore extremely angry.

:clap:

Longest.sentence.ever.

Keranu

That is why I thought SNK actually was doing it right with games. In most of their games they made major improvements in just a year. Look at KOF 94 and then KOF 97, you can see the long way the series came in just 3 years. I personally like KOF 96 and 97 the most since the fighting system is solid, top notch graphics/music and had really damn good story with great endings.
Yeah that's what I am saying, it's really amazing how much the series improved within those years. '98 was much of the same as '97, but tweaked the gameplay to make it perfect and added some more characters. I agree that KoF'96 and '97 are the best as overall games because of their awesome story lines, but I generally play fighting games for competition and nothing can come close to '98 in my opinion 8) .