Author Topic: Beyond Shadowgate  (Read 850 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Beyond Shadowgate
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 04:56:50 AM »
Yeah sometimes the dithering in Beyond Shadowgate bothers me. Other times it can look really great though (like in that mountain screenshot awack posted) since the color tones mix great with each other.

The bgs looks much lower colored and untouched than they actually are because of the dithering. But at least its consistant and most of the artwork is nice in the first place. Although I don't like the art 'style' of the characters.

The game doesn't feel 'just-like' a King's Quest type point & click adventure to me because you move the character around and fight just like Final Fight. I think that its a big improvement and makes the game feel way more interactive than just telling an icon where to head to.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

awack

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
Whats good about shadowgates graphics are the free flowing hand painted look, no repeating tiles, the highest number of background colors in a  pc engine game and the most heavily use of color for shading Ive seen in a game with 16 bit graphics, for example the skull with the sword sticking out of it in the first screenshot i posted  has 44 colors in it alone.

Whats bad is....imagine taking 44 colors of the pc engines palette and spreading it across a sheet of paper your going to get all kinds of colors which is what gives it that dithered look so you don't get that clean sharp look that are in games like rondo of blood or winds of thunder.

Keranu

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
Yeah sometimes the dithering in Beyond Shadowgate bothers me. Other times it can look really great though (like in that mountain screenshot awack posted) since the color tones mix great with each other.
The bgs looks much lower colored and untouched than they actually are because of the dithering. But at least its consistant and most of the artwork is nice in the first place. Although I don't like the art 'style' of the characters.
Yeah that's true too. It would be fun to try getting rid of the dithering to see what the game would look like; in fact, maybe I'll try messing with that later just for fun :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Don't let this walkthrough spoil the entire game for ya!