Author Topic: Why do CD-R's Damage the Duo Lens?  (Read 1032 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Why do CD-R's Damage the Duo Lens?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 04:16:19 PM »
Something that helps also is to use long strategy cd-rs,not the cheap short strategy stuff. These days however it is getting harder to get the good stuff,you do have to look around.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »
I must have a crappy burner then.  Ever since I discovered burning CD,SCD, and ACD games with CD-r's I thought it was the coolest thing on the planet!  But back in 2002, when I played a regular True CD game on my Duo it would load normal, but the CD-rs started to play slower.  More glitches/Black screen of death between loads.  And just overall long ass Load screens.

Then soon after, my regular games started to load slow too.... So I decided to stop playing CD-rs all together on REAL hardware.

It freaked me out pretty bad.  Then suddenly my Duo broke on me, the disks stopped turnng on the tray.  The Duo would just say- Disk read error, please set disk.

This was back when Retro Games still did repair work on Duo's through TZD.  And Shitty service to boot.  Anyway, 4 months and $60 later I finally got a different Duo in the Mail and it played perfectly.  Then somehow I got talked into using CD-rs on it again, in a topic similar to this one, full of guys who say that playing CD-rs doesn't effect the lense of a DUO.

So I made a few more games, and played them on the REAL hardware, and sure enough after a month of doing this, the games started loading like ass again, and sometimes the music wouldn't even play anymore.

So I INSTANTLY stopped playing CD-r's on REAL Hardware.  And of course I am a dumbass for even doing it again, but I never played CD-rs on it anymore.  I picked up a Duo-R now just incase my US Duo finally kicks the bucket.

Anyway, the main thing that happens now with my US duo is that when you first boot it up and put a CD game inside(Real Software)  the music doesn't work, but the sound effects do, and of course Hucards work just fine.  But if I turn it on and put a HuCard in it, for say about 30 minutes it warms up so that if you then put a CD game in it all of the sudden works just fine.  And its been that way for over a year.  It just needs to warm up or something....

But if you want my opinion, No to CD-rs on Real Turbo Systems, maybe others have other experiences. 

And dude if you want the Magic Engine to work with CD's just google the BIOS for Super CD System Cards, preferable System3 so you can play Arcade card games.  Its the best way to play CD-R's of those hard to find Massively $$$$$$ games!!

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
that warm up might be caused by old capacitors.

guyjin

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
CDRs are not the cause. The Duo is at least a 14(?) year old piece of equipment, possibly older, and failures will eventually occur.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

D-Lite

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 11:27:53 AM »
CDRs are not the cause. The Duo is at least a 14(?) year old piece of equipment, possibly older, and failures will eventually occur.
At least 17 years old.  Most US Duo's were made in late '89 to early '90.
JP Duo's are about a year older. 
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

guyjin

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
My duo was made in January '93 (so says the sticker on the bottom); I guessed that it wasn't the last one, and left a year of wiggle room. I also used the term 'at least', meaning it could well be older.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »

Huh? The Duo didn't come out in the US until '91 or '92. Are you saying they made them all in 1989 and '90 and then shelved them for two years before releasing them?

If that's the case, it's news to me!

That said, my Duo is a Oct. '92 model.

D-Lite

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »

Huh? The Duo didn't come out in the US until '91 or '92. Are you saying they made them all in 1989 and '90 and then shelved them for two years before releasing them?

If that's the case, it's news to me!

That said, my Duo is a Oct. '92 model.
Doh.  Sorry, I meant late '92 to early '93
I think the last one I saw was an April 1993.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »
this is a complete f***in lie

i have over 100+ PCengine/TG CD-Rs and only ONE is original (EXILE COMPLETE MINT IN BOX BOUGHT IT UNOPENED LAST YEAR)

i've played ALL my games to make sure they all work and all of them are flawless

i dont know how to play CDs on magic engine so i play them all on my duo-R

my duo died today from CDR use.... its the only explanation, i've ONLY had CDRs for this system so i guess it was doomed since it started playing....

"then I saw her face, now I'm a believer..."

Mortis

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 02:15:31 AM »
*sings a song about urban legends*  :-"

MissaFX

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:45 AM »
I don't know if this is an issue with the DUO but the 3DO can have some serious laser troubles if it crashes at the wrong time or if you press eject or power it off (!) while it is streaming mp2 audio.  It's like it literally cannot focus or something and the only way I have found to fix it in these cases is to play the same game that caused the trouble and coax it into playing the same type of file that caused the problem.  Usually after a few seconds of streaming the file it will magically fix itself and then it will read discs again.

Could this problem be similar for some people in the DUO?

Also unless this has happened to someone with an new laser in their DUO, it does sound to me like the laser simply needs to be re-calibrated like on the PSX to make it work.  I don't know if this is simple or not to adjust on the DUO but it might be something else to look into.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 06:36:23 AM »
I never had that issue with any 3DO I ever owned,ranging from about 9 different decks,FZ 10 and FZ 1,so it may just be a wonky prob your having with yours. The worst problem I have ever seen is the FZ 10 grinding noise prob. Some FZ-1 decks were also prone to random resets.   The Goldstar unit had many issues,its not worth owning. Also,I don't know if the method was used on every game,but some titles on 3DO used file repeat patterns so the same file could be on the disc 2-4 times or more.

They did this with the mind set that it would help to better play scratched disc. Between that and the Sport DMA mode its cd drive used,the design was well done. Only a few computer cd-rom drives even had the sport DMA mode,the only ones seemed to be the ones that would work with the pc 3DO kit.

Way of the Warrior was one of those titles that employed Sport DMA mode in the drive.Now it doesn't matter since we got well past the 2x speed drives,but back then it def made  a difference for being able to load game data,play the music file,and load voices on the fly.

MissaFX

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Michael Helgeson
I never had that issue with any 3DO I ever owned,ranging from about 9 different decks,FZ 10 and FZ 1,so it may just be a wonky prob your having with yours. The worst problem I have ever seen is the FZ 10 grinding noise prob. Some FZ-1 decks were also prone to random resets.   The Goldstar unit had many issues,its not worth owning.

Mine is a Panasonic FZ 1, USA model.

Quote from: Michael Helgeson
Also,I don't know if the method was used on every game,but some titles on 3DO used file repeat patterns so the same file could be on the disc 2-4 times or more.  They did this with the mind set that it would help to better play scratched disc.

The multiple locations for some of the files is actually part of the file system itself. 8)

The most offending title (and trickiest for me to shut down) is Digital Dreamware.  If you wanna try something ...not fun... eject your FZ 1 while playing one of the visualizations.  Then put in another game and it should skip if this is universal.  I assume it is, but any title with compressed, streaming audio will do this to me if I eject the drive (which you are supposed to be able to do at any time on this system), only some of them do it if I turn it off instead of ejecting.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08