Author Topic: Another company match-up!  (Read 1201 times)

spenoza

Re: Another company match-up!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
Considering that Frito-Lay is currently a subdivision of Pepsico and Hudson Soft is now part of Konami, I think Samsung is the only company that's still an independently functioning business. I have to vote for Samsung on those grounds alone :)
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
Quote from: Dark Jesus

Now I shall return to Hell to go play on my Sega,we really dig Lightning Force down there.

WTF is Lightning Force?  We have Lightening Force and it is tubular.

I shall never post again.

But... I thought we had somethin' special!

Remember to keep me in your thoughts and prayers....

Hell yeah, praying rockz hardc0re!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »
I wouldn't poke fun of Dark Jesus and how he spells his fav Sega games....might be dangerous.

ccovell

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »
Considering that Frito-Lay is currently a subdivision of Pepsico and Hudson Soft is now part of Konami, I think Samsung is the only company that's still an independently functioning business. I have to vote for Samsung on those grounds alone :)

A simple search: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=%2Bsamsung+%2Bscandal&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
yields:
Samsung Group chief Lee Kun-hee has expressed regret for a graft scandal involving him and the richest conglomerate in South Korea, ending a five-month overseas trip to return home.
The business tycoon had stayed abroad since he left South Korea in September when allegations snowballed that he and his group may have illegally funded politicians.

The scandal erupted as an illegal wiretapping by the country's main spy agency showed that Lee's top Samsung aide and brother-in-law had discussed the illicit funding for the 1997 presidential election.

Investigations followed, but Lee was allowed in December to avoid being indicted on a technical reason.

Besides the fact that the wiretapping was illegal?

State prosecutors said Lee had provided up to US$5 million in illicit financing to then losing presidential candidate Lee Hoi-chang but the five-year statute of limitations had already expired.

Samsung Group has been under a prosecution probe of allegations of irregularities in the transfer of wealth from the tycoon to his son.
Lee Jae-yong is alleged to have bought 1.25 million Samsung Everland shares at 7,700 won (US$7.90) per share -- far lower than the lowest trading price of 85,000 won at the time.

Sounds just about par for the course for large Korean corporations: the owners trade illegally, pay off politicians, agencies didn't get a big enough payoff so they wiretap the company illegally...

-----

Only if Takahashi Meijin gets involved in a sex scandal will I change my opinion that the other two companies are far dirtier than Hudson.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:23 AM »

Let me split hairs here: Konami is a majority stockholder, but they don't own Hudson Soft outright.  It doesn't really matter though, as they can still pull all of the important strings.

The Samsung Group is a independent business, but the company that everyone is familiar with (Samsung Electronics) is under the control of the parent company.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sunteam_paul

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 05:39:24 AM »
Considering My Samsung Monitor has packed in once, my Brother's Samsung monitor has packed in twice, my Samsung LCD TV had faulty firmware and some annoying rainbow effects when I moved my eyes around the screen they aren't getting my vote.

I don't know who Frito-Lay is beacause I don't live in the US or care.

So that only leaves one I suppose.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 05:50:08 AM »
Samsung electronics are indeed sucky, but they're cheap (in the US) and you usually get what you pay for.  You can still vote for Frito-Lay though, as they are the parent company of Walkers (smoky bacon for the win!).

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »
I think were all forgetting about samsung's new bad-ass hd-blur reducing strobe backlighting in their new lcd tvs  8) I don't know about the rainbow effect though, maybe thats just for the UK users  :wink:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
turbo D are you talking about the 120Hz sets?

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 04:42:20 AM »
Ranked in order of world benefiting-

1: Hudson Soft -PC Engine, Bomberman, etc.
2: Samsung -those cool Sega systems they've put out over the years.
3: Frito Lay -helping to make obesity normal so fat kids don't feel left out.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
turbo D are you talking about the 120Hz sets?

Ya, I saw one at circuit city and it blew away the competition  :)

sunteam_paul

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2007, 07:13:02 AM »
Samsung electronics are indeed sucky, but they're cheap (in the US) and you usually get what you pay for.  You can still vote for Frito-Lay though, as they are the parent company of Walkers (smoky bacon for the win!).

Ah but Walkers think they are so much better than everyone else by putting salt & vinegar in a green packet and cheese & onion in a blue one, which as everyone knows just isn't normal.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »
120hz LCDs are not exclusive to Samsung.  I'm skeptical of how much difference that 120hz will make anyway, since they'll still only have 24fps to display.  Maybe someday there'll be enough advancements to LCD technology that they'll be able to equal CRTs.  Maybe not.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »
Regular LCD TVs can display up to 60 frames per second.  They have to.  The new 120Hz sets can do 120fps, but only if the source is that high.  Otherwise it just scans each frame twice to make it appear more "rock steady", etc.  Movie projectors also show each frame twice in the theater before advancing to the next frame.  This reduces flicker.