Author Topic: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)  (Read 4248 times)

nat

Re: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2008, 05:38:05 AM »
Those APEX TVs aren't too shabby. I have a smaller one, and the image is awesome. Still doesn't compete with the JVC though.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2008, 06:16:55 AM »
I dont know,Apex had alot of different models,some were cheaper then others yet had better quality circuitry and tubes and yield better results after calibration.

In general though I think any Apex set you got was great. I never heard any complaints. I know my bedroom one does have better picture quality then my mothers 20 inch Apex in her bedroom for sure.

Ive seen some excellent JVC sets and some not so hot ones,so the only good way to compare is to have the two sets running the same thing side by side and have both of them calibrated and see which is better.

As of late I have been hard pressed to find any better tv on the market I want then the one I already have. Ive been tv hunting with Quoth plenty,just not too impressed with everything out there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:26:47 AM by Michael Helgeson »

nat

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »
I dont know,Apex had alot of different models,some were cheaper then others yet had better quality circitury and tubes and yeiled better results after calibration.

In general though I think any Apex set you got was great. I never heard any complaints. I know my bedroom one does have better picture quality then my mothers 20 inch Apex in her bedroom for sure.

I think the small one I have is the 20". Mine has a pretty good picture though, definitely what I would consider "above average."

Ive seen some excellent JVC sets and some not so hot ones,so there only good way to compare is to have the two sets running the same thing side by side and have both of them calibrated and see which is better.

I agree. I have a JVC from 1991 and a flatscreen JVC from the very late 90's. The late 90's set has possibly one of the best pictures I've ever seen on a CRT, while the 1991 set is pretty mediocre.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
APEX does not make their own TVs.  I have a 13-inch APEX with component and the tube is made by Sansui, I believe.  The image is really good.  My Toshiba which also has component is made by Sansui as well.  The picture quality is even better than the APEX, but you can see the similarities.  It totally blows away Nat's JVC (I have spied on him while he used it).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »
Apex sourced the tubes and dvd players from all sorts of companies,a couple of which were owned by the Chinese government. Because of that deal going bad with Sichuan Changhong Electric Appliance the VP and Pres of Apex became wanted men in China,one for sure got arrested there. Not sure if they are still holding him.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:04:49 PM by Michael Helgeson »

ceti alpha

« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2008, 03:52:58 AM »
Apex sourced the tubes and dvd players from all sorts of companies,a couple of which were owned by the Chinese government. Because of that deal going bad with Sichuan Changhong Electric Appliance the VP and Pres of Apex became wanted men in China,one for sure got arrested there. Not sure if they are still holding him.

:o

The wild west of capitalism.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

quoth09

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
Hey quoth, would this happen to be the same TV you had? My brother is picking it up this Sunday 8) .

Bah, the link has been deleted. The WEGA I had was one from 2000. It had the speakers on the bottom rather than the side, and it was before SRS was put on the units. It was 36", no PIP. I don't remember the model # off hand anymore.

Either way, it was a nice unit. If it is the same one, he should be happy. Actually any WEGA and he should be happy, lol.
Take a photo and send it to me when you get it, and I will tell you if it the same one or not. You should seriously get the operator code for it when you get the chance,that way you can adjust all the variables that are not in the normal menus. The unit I had, had a black remote with some of the buttons green.

Also another nice thing that it supported, was anamorphic mode for wide screen movies, let you flip back and forth from 4:3 to 16:9, which isn't on that many SD units.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

quoth09

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
My tv in my bedroom I use for my gaming and movies is a Apex 24 inch monitor with 3 composite av in,1 s-video in,and one av out. Quoths seen my tv in action plenty. Gaming on it is tops.Both composite and s-video are very clear and vibrant. Not a tv Id get rid of easily. If it starts to have issues Ill get it repaired first.

The only complaint I have about your TV is the fact that it doesn't have component on it. Otherwise, it's better than what I have now. Hopefully that will change soon...otherwise I will attempt to reclaim my glory and get another WEGA. I will just pick up a 27" this time if I do that though.

Either way, I'm either going to sell the one I have now, or it's going to become a permanent vertical monitor for my arcade boards...I haven't decided yet. A 27" Vertical is tempting... :-k
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).