Author Topic: SVIDEO switch?  (Read 313 times)

nat

SVIDEO switch?
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:38:25 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good SVIDEO switcher?

I have many games systems hooked up to one TV, the vast majority by SVIDEO. I need something that accepts SVIDEO and composite input and outputs SVIDEO. Something that doesn't degrade video quality. The more inputs the better. I have about 9 systems on this particular TV.

I am currently using a Radio Shack switcher which is OK, but has two issues. One is that it only has four inputs. Second is that I have the switcher hooked up to the SVIDEO input on the TV. However, the one system hooked up to the switcher by composite looks very shitty on screen. Far shittier than if I hook it up directly to composite-in on the TV: darker colors, "fuzzy" picture. Much video quality is obviously getting lost when the switcher converts the composite to SVIDEO. I am hoping this is just because my switcher is a worthless Radio Shack product.

MissaFX

Re: SVIDEO switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:57:54 PM »
I bet you any switch under several hundred dollars will be much the same.  If you are using one as a composite to Svideo converter you are going to get bad results nearly every time.  Many of them don't even send the composite signal ins through their Svideo outs.  You plug in composite, they will only output composite.

Plan A:
I suggest you use an external amp (which I assume you are already), and buy a good quality 5-6 Svideo box and put it into video 1 on your amp.  Use the one you have already for your composite signals and put it into video 2.  Most amps are going to be 2 times better converting your composite signals to Svideo...unless your amp is cheap.  If it is.  Then route video 1 into 1 of your TV's inputs.  And route video 2 into a 2nd input on your TV, but keep the video 2 line all composite.

---

Plan B:  Buy a DVD to VHS copy box for about 20 dollars.  This is basically a tiny chip based amp with a chip based signal limiter on it.  It will probably make your 1 thing which looks fuzzy, look fine.  I'm still a fan of plan A more though because it is the correct thing to do, on the cheap.  Plan B is psychotically cheap but may or may not work.

---

Plan C: Buy a 10 channel video mixer.  It's really what you need if you want to be picky.  Then you can set the "volume" of each video and audio channel to make each one perfect.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Michael Helgeson

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:55:51 AM »
I use the JVC JX-S777 and it is, like, sooo totally the bomb.  Not a cheap bomb, though.  It does output composite inputs through the s-video out and has a great Y/C separator.  Most switchers don't even bother with this.  And yes, I imagine your problem is due to the Radio Shack switcher having a crappy Y/C separator.

JVCs are the best.  Avoid Pelican.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:00:18 AM by Joe Redifer »

MissaFX

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:10:54 AM »
I use the JVC JX-S777 and it is, like, sooo totally the bomb. 

I fully endorce this product and or service.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

nat

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Thanks guys.

That one Joe linked to looks pretty good.

Although I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.

MissaFX

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
I cannot find anything but an expired craig's list for one... :(

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more since s-video in an ancient artifact from the 90's.

nat

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »
I figured that, but I can't even find one on eBay.