Author Topic: Replacing TG-16 CD motor  (Read 425 times)

kokuryu

Replacing TG-16 CD motor
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
Before I start pulling wires and stuff, after doing some intensive tests on my TG-16 CD drive, I have found that the problem seems to be with the motor in my unit.  All the gears seem to be fine, and everything else is greased and working good for the internal bearnings and whatnot, and the electronics seem to be working okay too.  When I try to fire up the CD unit to play something, the motor gets a brief power kick to kick it over, but its not enough to make it run.

Any suggestions from anyone who may have worked on their own CD motor before, or knows about these motors, for what I should do next, and if I should replace it, if they have a suggestion for getting a matching motor.

Thanks in advance!

termis

Re: Replacing TG-16 CD motor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:45:58 PM »
Read this thread, and my reply and see if it applies to you as well.  I'd say that there's a good chance that you need a new laser pickup, rather than a new motor.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4098.msg65286#msg65286

SignOfZeta

Re: Replacing TG-16 CD motor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:02:42 AM »
Yeah, I seriously doubt is the motor. The brief little kick of power is what all CDROMs do to check if there is a CD. If it sees a CD with its laser it will keep spinning. If it doesn't see the CD it will give a few more pulses and then quit.