Author Topic: Replaced my Duo's lens today.  (Read 371 times)

SNKNostalgia

Replaced my Duo's lens today.
« on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
I finally got my two HOP-M3 lenses in today. I only tried 1 of them and greased it up for the tracks nicely. So I turn on my Duo and wolla it works better than my old lens. Just one weird ass thing.... It seems as if the motor that spins the discs makes more of a SH-SH-SH-SH sound when idle and spinning or in between loading. It doesn't do this when playing audio or in the loading process itself. It even seems like the laser is emitting a slight humming sound as if it were electronic coming from a speaker yet it isn't coming from a speaker. Anyone know anything about this. Maybe it goes away when the then lens breaks in a little?  :-k

I will try the other lens tomorrow and see what the case is.

Mobius

Re: Replaced my Duo's lens today.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:53:53 AM »
Mine did something similar when I replaced the lens, along with a high pitched whine that the original never made.  Once I tweaked the potentiometer, the strange noises went away.  But I had to do that to get everything to play correctly, anyway.  If yours is otherwise working, you might not want to mess with it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
The first Duo I ever had made that singing noise all the time. Annoying as hell. It eventually died and I had EB replace it. This was in 1992. That lens is still going.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »
It does not work 100% perfect. It sometimes hangs when trying to load Gate of Thunder on the 4 in 1 disc. Might as well adjust the POT. I just moved, so I will get to mess with it when I take a 2 hour drive this weekend. I haven't played anything in 2 weeks, eishhh.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »
Took my Duo out of the closet today and followed up on this fix and also opened up some brand new Duo games I bought from TZD for the buy 1 get 1/2 off sale from like October or something.

All I had to do to get rid of the high pitch whining sound of the laser was to adjust the white potentiometer on the lens to a 1/5 turn down. It now functions flawlessly and is quiet. Took me like 10 minutes to do this trial by error. I swear it runs even better than it did when I got it new and it was flawless then in 2002 up to 2005.

I am no longer going to play CD-R games unless it is Dracula X or Double Dragon 2 once in a while maybe. I used top notch media to burn those games and used my old Win 98 Dell with a TDK Velo CD-R/RW Writer at 1X burn speed. These games tend to not constantly access too much data like some other games, so it shouldn't really mess the lens up at all. It seems like most RPGs or games that access a lot of constant data instead of playing CD audio all the time puts a toll on the lens. It wasn't until I played burns of YS 3, Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Blood Gear when my older lens got pissed. I am going to just buy originals, of those titles at least and maybe one day even the expensive rare ones.

Anyway, I ordered two more lenses for back-up since this is a damn epidemic for the Duo models. I suggest ordering at least two since some of these replacement lenses can be crappy. I just didn't feel like returning my bad one to electronix.