Author Topic: Trying to understand Hi-Ten Bomberman - What is was and what it was not  (Read 671 times)

MissaFX

Re: Trying to understand Hi-Ten Bomberman - What is was and what it was not
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I think the Kaypro was LCD.

It had a small amber tube.

It was the first computer that I played games on too, well the Kaypro II.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nat

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »
I was talking about the portable one, the Kaypro 2000 or whatever it was.

The Kaypro II, 4 and 10 had CRTs.

My parents got me a Kaypro 4 in 1984 or 85. Like you, it was my first computer ever. I learned rudimentary BASIC and Pascal programming on it. I remember one year for Christmas I programmed my parents some crude calculating programs in Pascal and compiled them. I created a a whole box packaged for the disks and everything.

I spent many hours playing the Colossal Cave Adventure game on that thing.

Anyway, we've hijacked AirRaidX's topic. Let's create a new thread if we want to continue this discussion.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
My understanding was that the Saturn 10-player mode supported widescreen and, in fact, encouraged it so that all players could see what was going on. Regular battle mode is 4:3 but 10-player supports wide.

It doesn't matter how many players there are, you get to choose "Wide" arena in the pre match options. There's only one wide stage, but you select it before the match as if there were others. It may not send out a 16:9 flag or whatever, but its proportioned to be viewed on a widescreen TV, so its the same difference.

It looks like the Saturn builds the map from the regular tiles and sprites and just scales everything down. I'm guessing that it was a late addition to the game. The space for the extra resized graphics wouldn't have been an issue.

Wait, I don't recall hearing about Namida being for the PCE, only the PC-FX, that's wierd..

It started out as a Super CD, then became an Arcade CD, then got moved to PC-FX where screenshots revealed new/different characters, then years later development resumed for Gamecube and PS2, until finally it was released only for PS2.

I hope the Gamecube version gets ported to Wii.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:16:07 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

handygrafx

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »
Is it too much to dream that Hudson Soft might pull Hi-Ten Bomberman out from their closet,
finish it or fill it out a little and release it on Xbox 360 XBLA  and/or PS3 PSN ?

nat

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »
Is it too much to dream that Hudson Soft might pull Hi-Ten Bomberman out from their closet,
finish it or fill it out a little and release it on Xbox 360 XBLA  and/or PS3 PSN ?

Yes, I think so.

handygrafx

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »

Yes, I think so.

I kinda thought so :/

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
It ain't gonna happen, but Hi-Ten on XBLA would be awesome.  Hudson was supposedly talking with MS about bringing Saturn Bomberman to XBLA, but I doubt that it'll ever happen, now that Bomberman Live is available.  I haven't had a chance to try Live for myself, but it looks like it plays much like the 2d versions even though it's 3d.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles