Author Topic: Peter Hirschberg and the Luna City retro arcade!  (Read 377 times)

Dark Fact

Peter Hirschberg and the Luna City retro arcade!
« on: February 04, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »
SOURCE

Quote from: Washington Post
Last time I wrote about Peter Hirschberg, a guy with a passion for restoring vintage, '80s-era arcade games, he was toying with the notion of building a full-blown arcade next to his Linden home to store his growing collection.
And here it is. Finally, after a couple of years, a pile of money, and a struggle or two with contractors and local building regulations, Luna City Arcade is complete.
Missile Command, Space Invaders, Defender, Asteroids, Q*bert -- all the old pizza parlor favorites are here, chirping away with the same old sounds and waiting for a quarter. Luna City, as he calls it, is Hirschberg's personal time capsule: The walls of the 60- by 40-foot building are lined with posters for "Star Wars," "Tron" and "Battlestar Galactica" (the original series, not the recent remake). The collection is up to 65 games at the moment, and another three are on the way.
"This is what heaven looks like," said Hirschberg, as he welcomed a small group of my friends and me to his recent unofficial grand opening, where about 50 of his friends and co-workers, and their kids, showed up to play.
Collecting arcade machines isn't a huge hobbyist scene, as maintaining these big old systems can be labor intensive. Hirschberg, whose arcade is one of the biggest private collections in the country, sometimes has to cannibalize several different systems to get the right parts for additions. He's had the occasional machine burst into flames.

More on the story on the link...

From what I've seen from the pictures, this looks incredibly awesome! :D The fact that Peter Hirschberg was able to get a good chunk of 80's classic arcades and create his own arcade parlour is absolutely fantastic.  It's times like this that I wish I lived in Virginia.

Oh, and here is Peter's personal Web Site.  Worth a look. :wink:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nodtveidt

Re: Peter Hirschberg and the Luna City retro arcade!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
Hey, he stole my idea! ](*,)

Well okay...he just had the money to do it before I did.

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
Hmm this is supose to be in va.

Maybe a road trip is in order for me this summer.

Beside the guy arcade has a discs of tron cab  :dance:

Btw dark fact,kit eariler link the guy video in the youtube thread,afther i watch it my jaw droped  :shock:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:35:19 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
Yeah, this is the arcade in the video bust3dst8 linked to on this page.

I adore his tacky carpet.

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:46:27 PM »
uhm....wow!  :shock: I am officially jealous. His cabinet collection is amazing. Discs of Tron?!!!  :clap:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
What state is this in?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Dark Fact

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
Virginia.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
What state is this in?

A state of bliss.

Dark Fact

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
Quote from: nat
A state of bliss.
Preceded by a state of shock. :wink:

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
Bordering on the state of envy.

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:48 AM »
interview with the owner.

http://revver.com/video/685197
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Dark Fact

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 01:37:57 PM »
God, we gotta start growing mullets and start wearing leather jackets and tight jeans filled with quarters and then go down to this guy's arcade.  It would be the perfect 80's gig. 8)

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »
God, we gotta start growing mullets and start wearing leather jackets and tight jeans filled with quarters and then go down to this guy's arcade.  It would be the perfect 80's gig. Cool

Sweet!  :mrgreen: My brother and I are going to drive down to FunSpot in New Hampshire sometime soon. I have to try for the Xevious highscore. lol

Dark Fact

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
Heads Up:

Sorry for not noticing that you guys already covered this in the YouTube thread.  I was still busy reading the pages in the 20-30 range when I put this thread up. :oops:
Quote from: ceti alpha
Sweet! :mrgreen: My brother and I are going to drive down to FunSpot in New Hampshire sometime soon. I have to try for the Xevious highscore. :lol:
What's the Xevious highscore at?

ceti alpha

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:35:44 AM »
What's the Xevious highscore at?

It's at 999,990. 100% So basically the score was flipped, or it's a kill screen. Not really sure what happens. But I'll be buying the PC Engine version of it soon. Gotta get my skillz up.  :wink: The GBA/NES version isn't an exact port and I don't like playing it on MAME. Using the keyboard sucks for Xevious. You need a joystick or a d-pad.