Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 3081 times)

GUTS

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
^ yeah but at least there's something to do in Flash Hiders other than just battle the computer or a second player, and if you don't want to break the game you don't have to play with buffed out stats.  Plus Flash Hiders looks about 10x better than either of those games.

GUTS

« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
Fausette Amour-  f*cking terrible.  Slow as shit, retarded bosses, boring cut scenes, and all the challenge of a Sesame Street game.  f*ck Naxat.  I need to stop wasting money on this kind of crap.  The graphics are decent, that's the only positive thing I have to say about this heap of shit.

Might & Magic III- Good, but not as good as I remember it.  I swear to god the game only recognizes 50% of your controller inputs, and the other 50% of the time it either ignores you completely or doubles whatever you push.  The menu cursors also move excruciatingly slow so it takes for f*cking EVER to manage your inventory.  Moving around isn't so bad, but the half-second delay between your button press and actually moving (that's when the game decides it's going to acknowledge that you pushed a button) gets irritating after a while, especially when compared to something like Eye of the Beholder on Sega CD which moves ultra fast and has better graphics.  The adventure itself is still great and underneath the technical problems it's a kickass RPG, but honestly all the annoyances compound until it's just not much fun to play.  Plus it takes up your entire f*cking internal memory to play, so you better have a Tennoke Bank.

nat

« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
I just picked up M&MIII the other day, and I wanted to try it out for 5 or 10 minutes but it doesn't even let you play unless you make room for the save file. I had to find a free Bank cart and do a swap just to play for a few moments.

I thought it looked pretty awesome from the brief moments I spent with it.

That's a bummer to hear about Fausette Amour, that's one title I've been wanting to pick up for a couple years.

Bonknuts

« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Fausette Amour-  f*cking terrible.  Slow as shit, retarded bosses, boring cut scenes, and all the challenge of a Sesame Street game.  f*ck Naxat.  I need to stop wasting money on this kind of crap.  The graphics are decent, that's the only positive thing I have to say about this heap of shit.

Hah. That's pretty much what I thought of the game too. Although, for me it was hyped before I played it, so that might have had something to do with it. I only played up to the second level and the was enough for me.

Keranu

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
That's a bummer to hear about Fausette Amour, that's one title I've been wanting to pick up for a couple years.
I'm going with Runin's positive review for this game instead.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »
Keranu you might like it because everyone else hates it, but it's too bland to have any JJ & Jeff value as a bad game, it's just a really bad game,  I think most people who play it will have mine and Bonknuts's reaction.  The main problem is that the main character moves ultra slow, then couple that with sparse enemies, boring level layouts, and some of the worst bosses ever (with patterns that would be simple for a first gen NES game).  I can handle a slow main character if the game throws lots of stuff at you like Castlevania or Legendary Axe (and the level layouts are creative and interesting), but when the levels are devoid of any challenge and extremely boring, it makes for a really lame experience.

Nat if you pick it up, wait until you can find a good deal.  I got mine from Gamengai.com for a really good price, $70 (I also picked up an ultra cheap Harmful Park for PSX for only $75, couldn't believe my luck on that one).  He has some amazing prices, I try to check his site once or twice a month.