Author Topic: The attack of eBay Seller stardogchampion1990 and the tale of a Super CD-ROM2  (Read 1150 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Actually, it's a LOT of my business. It's my business because I PAID FOR IT. Actually, according to both eBay, Paypal and a LOT of sellers, it is more for the buyer than the seller.

Wrong.  The following is directly from ebay's site: Under Federal Trade Commission Laws, and eBay and PayPal rules, the Seller is responsible for getting the item to the customer in the condition in which it was advertised.  Insurance is for the protection of the Seller.  Many sellers believe otherwise, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Actually, you know what, I have been ATTEMPTED to be ripped off by someone with 100% feedback. It's all the same. What you are saying is that you should basically just ignore their feedback %...I think not. If someone has low feedback percentage, or several negatives, obviously the percentage of you getting ripped off or not getting your item in the same condition as stated (the 2 go hand in hand), reflects that. If you don't see the correlation there, then your logic is definitely flawed.

You're making too many blind assumptions.  M.H. posited that the seller's feedback was proof of his guilt, which Bonknuts disputed.  Nowhere did mal assert that feedback is useless and best ignored.

Good point, but the thing is anyone that knows an item was working before they sent it off, would know to file if they knew it was not from a result of their packing or how the item was before hand.

My initial thought if someone said something I sold was not 100% working, would be to ask about the box or packaging I shipped the item in. If the packaging was not damaged, I would then look at what type of item it was. If it was me, and I shipped this as actually being in the condition it was stated as, and the laser showed up not working after, I would be damn sure filing a claim.

To put it bluntly here: Lasers don't die partially and act like they have been run for several hundred hours due to poor package handling at the post office.

That is exactly my point; the seller knew that he would be unable to collect on the insurance, since the package showed no signs of mishandling.  This doesn't prove that the seller knew of the laser's problem beforehand, as he may blame his inadequate packing for the failure or may believe that you're lying.  Whatever point you're trying to make regarding an insurance claim is pointless.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

quoth09

Actually, it's a LOT of my business. It's my business because I PAID FOR IT. Actually, according to both eBay, Paypal and a LOT of sellers, it is more for the buyer than the seller.
Wrong.  The following is directly from ebay's site: Under Federal Trade Commission Laws, and eBay and PayPal rules, the Seller is responsible for getting the item to the customer in the condition in which it was advertised.  Insurance is for the protection of the Seller.  Many sellers believe otherwise, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Bah, I meant to put it is more for the seller than the buyer...I just woke up not too long before I replied to this.
Either way, what you pulled from eBay's site is 100% correct:
'the Seller is responsible for getting the item to the customer in the condition in which it was advertised.'

However, if I paid for insurance, and the seller refuses to file a claim on an item that is damaged (like what happened to Michael in his transaction with Red Frog), then it is quite obvious that the seller is hiding something in most situations, like not purchasing it (if the item didn't show up that is). This was not the case in my situation necessarily, but none the less; if I pay for insurance, it better damn well be purchased. Paypal doesn't enforce this, and it's crap. I would never think about not purchasing insurance when it has been paid for; apparently other sellers don't have the same ethics or standards in this category as I do, and they should be noted as such.

Actually, you know what, I have been ATTEMPTED to be ripped off by someone with 100% feedback. It's all the same. What you are saying is that you should basically just ignore their feedback %...I think not. If someone has low feedback percentage, or several negatives, obviously the percentage of you getting ripped off or not getting your item in the same condition as stated (the 2 go hand in hand), reflects that. If you don't see the correlation there, then your logic is definitely flawed.

You're making too many blind assumptions.  M.H. posited that the seller's feedback was proof of his guilt, which Bonknuts disputed.  Nowhere did mal assert that feedback is useless and best ignored.

Exactly, and I was agreeing with Michael. I basically reinforced what he said. I was replying back to what Mal said about all of it though. The way he put it, makes it sound like the % does not matter.

Good point, but the thing is anyone that knows an item was working before they sent it off, would know to file if they knew it was not from a result of their packing or how the item was before hand.

My initial thought if someone said something I sold was not 100% working, would be to ask about the box or packaging I shipped the item in. If the packaging was not damaged, I would then look at what type of item it was. If it was me, and I shipped this as actually being in the condition it was stated as, and the laser showed up not working after, I would be damn sure filing a claim.

To put it bluntly here: Lasers don't die partially and act like they have been run for several hundred hours due to poor package handling at the post office.

That is exactly my point; the seller knew that he would be unable to collect on the insurance, since the package showed no signs of mishandling.  This doesn't prove that the seller knew of the laser's problem beforehand, as he may blame his inadequate packing for the failure or may believe that you're lying.  Whatever point you're trying to make regarding an insurance claim is pointless.

Eh, I think the only way he didn't know about the laser's problem beforehand, would be if he was naive about the whole situation, which that still doesn't excuse it. But yeah, you are probably right, the package showed no signs of mishandling, so that would be the only explanation as to why he didn't try to file. I wouldn't say my point is pointless, just given the whole circumstance it speaks for itself.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
if I pay for insurance, it better damn well be purchased. Paypal doesn't enforce this, and it's crap.

I don't know about Paypal, but eBay strictly forbids overcharging for insurance as part of their excessive shipping charges policy.  Even so, the matter is entirely irrelevant in this case, as insurance was obviously paid for.

Exactly, and I was agreeing with Michael. I basically reinforced what he said. I was replying back to what Mal said about all of it though. The way he put it, makes it sound like the % does not matter.

I'm unable to draw such an illogical conclusion from Bonknuts's post.  I repeat, you assume too much.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

Holly shit. Can you believe I'm not even part of this discussion?

Michael Helgeson

Meka leka hi, meka hiney ho!
Two heads of mine are surely better then any one of yours! Holly shit. Can you believe I'm not even part of this discussion?

Why,so you can completely disagree with everything/everyone and get slapped down at every turn?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:57:53 PM by Michael Helgeson »

quoth09

if I pay for insurance, it better damn well be purchased. Paypal doesn't enforce this, and it's crap.

I don't know about Paypal, but eBay strictly forbids overcharging for insurance as part of their excessive shipping charges policy.  Even so, the matter is entirely irrelevant in this case, as insurance was obviously paid for.

Neither of them uphold it. It's an outright lie. You report people, and they do nothing.

In fact, report someone as a test sometime to both Paypal and eBay. Nothing will get done.
All they say is 'We will note their account, and if we notice a trend, we will do something about it then'.
Yet, nothing gets done.

Also, the next time that you pay for insurance, and the seller doesn't get it, file a claim on them for that.
You will get nowhere and Paypal WILL drop the claim.
In fact, I have questioned several sellers that have done that in the past, and they get all offended, acting like 'How dare I ask them why they didn't purchase insurance when I paid for it?' aka 'How dare you ask why I stole your money!'
Not right at all. They don't even offer to refund it.

For Paypal being connected and owned by eBay so much, why don't they uphold rules like that---the ones that actually make sense!? Not purchasing insurance and overcharging for shipping significantly is nothing more than fraud. Sellers that pocket insurance money should be ashamed of themselves.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

quoth09

Hmmm, seems that someone notified stardogchampion1990 that this thread was up here, either that or he found it on his own. Either way, I just got this message from him via eBay:

Quote from: stardogchampion1990 via eBay
Dear quoth09,

Can you please remove your slanderous thread against me on the pc engine forum. I don't know what else to do with you, I gave you a refund, I sent you good items for a good price and I gave you all that you wanted when you demanded $30 and all you do is walk all over me.

So, I went ahead and replied back:

Quote from: quoth09
First off, go look up the definition of slanderous. Second off, I can't delete the whole thread, nor would I, if I had the option to do so. You would have to talk to the owner of the site, and I don't think he would be too eager to remove it, as it blatantly shows what you did, and removing it would only leave other buyers on here and elsewhere, open to having what happened to me, to them as well. If you didn't want to be responsible for what you sold in the condition as you stated on the auction page, you shouldn't have sold it, or sold it in the condition you stated. I'm sick and tired of dealing with sellers on eBay and elsewhere that lie about the condition of their items, and I'm not going to take it sitting down as you do. Please do not contact me about this issue anymore, as it has been resolved. It was stated in the post as well, if you would have read the whole thing. If you have any further issues with it, since you know where the post is, I suggest you post there.

So, with that, I hope he posts here, and I welcome everyone to comment until their hearts content, as well as letting him attempt to justify the condition of what he sold, as well as all the emails that he sent me, that you have all read.

Also, the story stays via weblink, as well as ALL the emails in it. To remove it would be a cover up on my part, and I don't do those. I'm tired of myself and others getting lied to and ripped off on eBay and other sites, and I'm not going to stand by and simply just bend over and take it, or resell the item to someone else, so they can get screwed over as well; it's not right, and it leaves a bad taste in other peoples mouths, as well as mine. When I sell items, I don't lie about their condition, and I wouldn't think twice of doing what a lot of the sellers I have dealt with do to me. Yes, the situation has been resolved, but I'm not removing anything. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing slanderous about anyone in anything I wrote.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:28:50 PM by quoth09 »

nat

It's funny how these big eBay sellers always seem to "find" these kinds of threads (this isn't the first time this has happened). They must Google their eBay user ID in their free time or something.

I tend to agree, quoth09. There is no slander happening here, it is simply a warning & a recount of one man's experience with said seller. I think this falls into the "freedom of speech" category that would be your right as a citizen of the US of A. I see no reason to remove the thread.