Author Topic: Ever looked inside a TurboTap?  (Read 276 times)

nodtveidt

Ever looked inside a TurboTap?
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:33:17 AM »
So I decided to pop open one of my three TurboTaps to see how they're built. Wasn't quite as complicated as I expected. However, there's a single mystery part on the board I don't quite understand.

Check out the blue component on the upper left-hand side of the board (at L005). This is a three-lead component, reminds me of some kind of transistor (which is what it may be). But I'm not exactly sure what it is. Any leads?

Also, the four red-wire pieces on the right-hand side of the board...what the frig are these things? #-o I've seen them before but have never really understood what they are. Noise filters, maybe?

The large 40 pin DIP IC is a pretty standard component, although I've been unable to find any data sheets on it. It's an NEC D65005C195 and it seems to be relatively easy to get ahold of.

SignOfZeta

Re: Ever looked inside a TurboTap?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:09:54 AM »
The things with the red wires probably are inductors, probably for noise elimination as you said. The blue thing...not sure exactly. Its probably also an inductor since its labeled "L", but I'm nut sure what sort it is since I'm not L337 enough to know of three wire inductors.

BTW, you need a new camera :)

nodtveidt

Re: Ever looked inside a TurboTap?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm working on getting a Canon Rebel XTi but they're kind of expensive down here. Soon enough though. :D