Author Topic: Cool, cool and more cool. Dracula X vinyl  (Read 843 times)

Keranu

Re: Cool, cool and more cool. Dracula X vinyl
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
Trance, electronica, whatever, it's all techno to me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Joe Redifer
Sure, if you like.  There is some trance I like.  Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan Midnight 2 probably falls into the trance category.  Not really good to sit around listening to on it's own, but great for racing games!  I always considered trance to be in the "techno" genre.  I've rarely heard it called "electronica".

I'll see what I can find. Yuzo's Wangan stuff is kind of cookie cutter, but its OK. Its great as game music but not really top end.

MurderDate

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 03:43:56 AM »
Trance, electronica, whatever, it's all techno to me.

exactly
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

SignOfZeta

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »
Quote from: SignOfZeta

It just occurred to me that you might actually be serious. Should I upload a couple of tracks for you?

Sure, if you like.  There is some trance I like.  Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan Midnight 2 probably falls into the trance category.  Not really good to sit around listening to on it's own, but great for racing games!  I always considered trance to be in the "techno" genre.  I've rarely heard it called "electronica".

I PMed you a link to some some stuff I uploaded.

Yeah, most of this stuff exists because its part of an entire setting. There is a club, and drugs, and people, and its all in a continuous mix. Sometimes the setting is just a racing game. Or Rez. Tracks by themselves listened to at home aren't very fun most of the time unless its the really good stuff. Kind of like how film scores usually aren't very fun on their own if you haven't seen the movie yet. If you take the music out of the setting it can be as lame as getting drunk by yourself before noon.

My friends and I all used to call electronic dance music "techno", which I think was fitting. Since about 1991 or so  techno has sort of become its own more focused genre. But then I live 20 minutes from Detroit, so maybe my being able tell the difference is a regional thing.