Author Topic: Setting up a network printer connection! Having problems! Need help!  (Read 597 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Setting up a network printer connection! Having problems! Need help!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:19:08 AM »
It certainly should, considering it's a fairly new model.  Models that lack built in command interpreters won't work, but this one must have 'em since Lexmark sells print servers that do work with it.  After a quick search of D-Link's site, the only other advice that I can give is to disable bi-directional print support (under the ports tab in the printer's properties).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dark Fact

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
Tried that.  Got an error message stating that the printer had trouble communicating between it and the computer.

Another thing I noticed: whenever I tried to send the test page to the printer and the printer stated that it "completed" the print job without printing the page, the current job status window still indicated the job as being "sent to printer" without disappearing after the job was finished like it was supposed to.

I'm gonna try tech support again.  Hopefully they aren't busy.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
So, just to clarify, what is the reason that you have to have the printer plugged into the router instead of just setting it to be shared from one of the two computers?

At this point I'd just either set it up that way and/or return this router. You've been f*cking with this thing for weeks, poor guy.

Dark Fact

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
Ok, so the outsourced East Indian guy on the other end of tech support couldn't do jack shit for my printer problem.  Looks like I'm back to square one. ](*,)
Quote from: SignofZeta
At this point I'd just either set it up that way and/or return this router. You've been f*cking with this thing for weeks, poor guy.
Return the router? Are you crazy? I need it to have a joint internet connection between me and my sister's computer.  Besides, it's brand f*cking new!
So, just to clarify, what is the reason that you have to have the printer plugged into the router instead of just setting it to be shared from one of the two computers?
The router has a USB printer port for network printing support.  D-LINK says that plugging your USB connection from your printer to the router would provide the opportunity to have your printer be connected to the network and always be online as long as the network is online.  That way, you don't need to have a specific computer on as a host whenever someone else needs to have a print job done.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
Return the router? Are you crazy? I need it to have a joint internet connection between me and my sister's computer.  Besides, it's brand f*cking new!

Ok but...uh...it doesn't seem to work. You might want to consider other options.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:10 AM »
A little more net wandering has led me to believe that this router may not be compatible with your printer or any other multi-function printers.  Apparently, print servers need to specifically support MFPs, and this one doesn't appear to.  Can you borrow a plain-jane, non-MFP printer and try to print to it?  If it works properly, then you'll know that the router is setup and functioning properly and that your printer is the culprit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dark Fact

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 06:25:12 AM »
No, you know something? Forget it.  I'll just switch the USB cable between me and my sister's computer and leave it at that.  At least that way I'm guaranteed to have print jobs.  Consider the bud nipped. :-({|=