Author Topic: Can a DVD be made regionless?  (Read 891 times)

Keranu

Re: Can a DVD be made regionless?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:02 PM »
Yeah region lock is retarded.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »
Quote from: quoth

But when it comes to 5.1 or whatever, DTS has much better quality under compression, and the dynamic range blows Dolby out of the water, and makes it sound like a music box in comparison.

That's interesting, because side-by-side listening of a movie I authored from a 6.1 LPCM source revealed next-to-no audible differences between the two.  Both were full bitrate (448kbps for Dolby Digital EX and 1536kbps for DTS-ES).  The sound track was very subwoofer-intensive and had some nice dynamic impacts here and there.  While DTS did win, it certainly wasn't leaps and bounds better.  Like I said it all depends on the mastering, and I feel that sometimes the masters are "sweetened" for one format or another.  That is why the Pirates movies sound like ass in DTS but acceptable in Dolby Digital.

The Disney umbrella of companies is HUGE.  I don't mean just Disney themselves, I mean almost anything made by Touchstone, Miramax, Pixar, etc.  Granted, no Pixar movies have been released in DTS yet, and the Dolby Digital tracks on their DVDs are nothing short of out-frikkin'-standing.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 03:15:29 AM »
Region Patching in DVD Decrypter is fully automatic.  Just rip the disc into an image.  Then reburn the image, and it will be a region free disc.  There is nothing you have to do, the software is designed to circumvent region locks.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
What about changing a dvd from PAL to NTSC?  I don't recall if anyone shed any light on that.  The DVD's I'm getting, are from England, they're Transformers DVD's, that, in the US, are owned by Saban, & will probably never come out here :P

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 01:13:58 AM »
What about changing a dvd from PAL to NTSC?  I don't recall if anyone shed any light on that.  The DVD's I'm getting, are from England, they're Transformers DVD's, that, in the US, are owned by Saban, & will probably never come out here :P

For all the time involved and the fact that the audio will probably not sync up perfectly, if you have an HDTV that supports pal, you're better off just buying a cheap dvd player that does it all. My LCD runs PAL well enough that the games in PAL I tried were fully playable.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 05:24:09 PM »
Well, I got them today, & so far, they all work!!!  They play in my dvd player, & the signal, audio, etc. is all perfect!  Go figure!  I originally tried one in my dad's dvd player, & it ran, but the signal was all jacked up, but, it all works fine on mine.  I was playing around with my dvd player a week ago, to try to figure out a code to make it regionless(since, on my particular model, I never could find a code, some sites even said there was none known for mine).  Anyways, I guess this thread ended up useless, but, I appreciate all the effort people put into trying to help me.  Still, I'll probably make backup's, & do the region change, etc. on them, so, I guess this thread will come in handy  :D