Author Topic: Opus Creator Retiring  (Read 278 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Opus Creator Retiring
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:26:29 AM »
Linky

I'll miss the little penguin but wish Breathed the best of luck in his next endeavors.  Is anyone else here a big fan of Bloom County, Outland, and/or Opus?  Those three, Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, and Sherman's Lagoon are my favorites, but now online one remains.  :(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nectarsis

Re: Opus Creator Retiring
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:27:13 AM »
Calvin & Hobbes RULES ALL
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 05:23:36 AM »
Bloom County is my favorite strip of all time next to early Peanuts stuff. Its kind of amazing how good the newspaper strips of the 80s were compared to the shit they are now. Aside from Non Sequitur, is there anything worth reading at all?

guyjin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:41:48 AM »
I was never a big fan of bloom county - i still don't get the humor surrounding that sick cat. love C&H and the far side; I'm afraid I've never heard of sherman's lagoon.

As for current good comics, Funky Winkerbean is actually pretty good right now (this is coming from someone who used to think it was a waste of ink); For Better or Worse (which seems to be in reruns now); Pickles, Shoe, and Heart of the City. I think Non Sequitur is the new far side (a VERY good thing.)

Dilbert has gone downhill; it used to be more about life in general, but now its all business all the time.
'robot man' (nowadays called "monty") used to be good, but is now almost unreadable; and Garfield is just going through the motions.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:33 AM »
This is the 3rd time he's retiring!  He'll be back in a few years when he gets bored again... if he's still alive.  Opus only lasted for 2 or 3 years.

Aside from Non Sequitur, is there anything worth reading at all?

Pearls Before Swine, definitely.  I also enjoy Monty (which used to be called Robotman).  Heart of the City is decent and Lio is pretty good as well (from the same dude who does Heart of the City, only the humor is darker and children are actually eaten).  Bizarro and Brewster Rockitt are pretty good as well.

I don't care for Sherman's Lagoon, Get Fuzzy (bleh!), Doonesbury or the like.  Garfield has finally been removed from my local newspaper.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:44:18 AM by Joe Redifer »

guyjin

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »
  Garfield has finally been removed from my local newspaper.

Seriously? I thought it was against the law for a newspaper to not carry Garfield. or Peanuts.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nectarsis

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
Peanuts hasn't been carried here in years.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
I thought so, too, but Garfield got the axe.  Someone at my paper must have grown a pair.  Peanuts is still there even though Schulz is dead which means he is an a$$hole which means he doesn't deserve to have his shit in my paper.  I am sure he is in hell.