Author Topic: Turbo Express battery question  (Read 266 times)

Keranu

Turbo Express battery question
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »
I received a brand new Turbo Express in the mail yesterday thanks to MindRec. I haven't really been able to use it so far since I don't have an AC adapter for it and I don't want to keep using six AA batteries. I was reading this thread for help and it seems to be okay to use NiMH rechargeable batteries on a Turbo Express, which is great since I have four, but could I please get a final confirm that it's completely safe to use NiMH rechargeable batteries on a Turbo Express unit :) ? And if it is, would it be okay to mix in two normal AA batteries in it as well (just until my AC adapter arrives from LikSang, which takes awhile)?

Here is something I would like to point out from my condition of the Turbo Express:

I first tested it using random AA batteries, the results were a little weird. The brightness seemed to be pretty average, however I could not adjust the brightness. I should also mentioned that my Turbo Express suffers the common low/no sound problem without headphones, but the sound was at a average volume with headphones on. I also had a few game glitches where the sprite seemed to be the same, but all the backgrounds were all bright and messed up.

While I was at work, my little brother wanted to try it, so he put in four random AA batteries and two NiMH rechargeable batteries. When I got home to try it (not knowing what batteries he used), it was working great: I could adjust brightness, screen looked marvelous, and no glitches. The only problem was that the sound seemed to be even quieter with headphones on, maybe the capacitor just got weaker.

I tried it again later that night by replacing the two NiMH batteries I found in it with yet again two more random AA batteries :) . The results here were a little ugly. The screen was very dim, I couldn't adjust brightness, and sound was the same as it was the last test run. Not only that, but at one point after playing for about a minute straight, blackness would go along the screen like the plague. I figure it was worse this time because the random batteries I used must've been really low on power.

My last test was with a random AC adapter, with no batteries in the TE. The AC adapter's plug fit into the TE fine, however the volt output was 9, while the TE requires 7v, so I decided just to do a very quick test and be careful. It worked fine using the AC adapter, just like how it did in the second test with the two NiMH batteries, with the sound still being quiet.

I ordered a brand new TE ac adapter and Implode from Lik Sang for really  cheap (around $15 all together with shipping combined). Knowing LikSang, shipping can take from 5-15 days or something (if not longer) and I think I have to wait for my Pay Pal e-check to clear too, so needless to say I am a little impatient :) . All I need is a little help from you wonderful guys here  if that using NiMH rechargeable batteries is safe and won't harm my system, and if using 4 NiMH batteries and 2 normal AA batteries will be okay too (don't worry, I will switch to 6 NiMH ASAP if that's the case). Thanks a lot in advance.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:54:13 AM »
DUDE! Glad you got it! Don't be bummed out: in general, mixing batteries is not advisable.... it's even more of a no-no when you're mixing different *types* of batteries (i.e. alkaline vs. rechargable) :) .

Now, I've never actually researched to see if there was a sound scientific reason for this, but nearly every electronic device I've bought clearly tells folks to use:

1) batteries of the same vintage (i.e. don't mix old and new batteries)

and

2) batteries of the same type (i.e. it's all alkaline, or nothin' :) )

I recently bought my wife a handheld SuDoKu (sp???) LCD game and even that cheap thing, with its Engrish instructions, made this disclaimer. Hmmmm, now I am going to have to do some googling and learn about the science behind this...

As you noticed in the other threads, folks have mentioned that different types of batteries supply varying levels of current (IIRC, alkaline puts out slightly more volts, on average, than rechargeable counterparts).

So, I'd  buy a pack of fresh new alkaline AA's -- it is probably the easiest way to test your TE to see how it works. Why? Well, we know that alkaline are very good, and reliable, for powering the TE. If all goes well, then you can experiment with additional types of batteries / power sources.

It's worth spending a few bucks, now, for the re-assurance that your TE is not faulty. :)

Sorry I don't have more definitive answer for you Keranu :( . I've always been wasteful and used alkaline batteries for my TE. I have a car adapter , so the only time I used batteries was when I was in the airport or on a plane.

Back in the day, rechargeable batteries drained too quickly for items that used a lot of juice -- but this was back in the late 80's - early 90's -- and I think that they are much more reliable now. I had the nickel cadmium (sp?) type... I'm sure things are better now...
  |    | 

rolins

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »
Keranu, just as Steve666 said it's not safe to mix alkalines with recharageable AAs. Personally, I don't even recommend using any recharageable AA batteries with the TE. You might damage the internals, and also feeding it 9volts thru the AC...umm will send it into early retirement even for a second.

Already your TE has low sound and dark screen w/o brightness control, which my GT suffered from before it died. My advice is to wait until you get the official AC adapter, but in the mean time go get yourself some fresh Alkalines. If your TE still has the dark screen problem running off Alkalines the damage may already be done.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the info, though I kind of found my answer last night from an electronic friend about the mixing batteries thing (even with different level alkalines isn't good!). However he says he doesn't see how NiMH rechargeable batteries could cause any harm and this thread also has a couple of people who seem to have no problems with it. I was planning to go to a store on Monday to pick up 6 NiMH batteries, but I really want to know for sure if it's okay to use these. I know that using NiCD rechargeable batteries can cause problems along with those other types, but NiMH seems to be safer. Please let me know, and thanks again!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »
I just got back from K-Mart about 10-20 minutes ago and bought a 8 pack of AA alkaline Energizer batteries along with a 8 pack of Duracell NiMH rechargeable batteries (I already have a battery charger for it which is the exact same model). I've been testing the Turbo Express with the fresh new alkalines and the Turbo Express works great ; the Turbo Express really does look good (I can see small sprites and read text fine, I don't know what some people are complaining about :) ). I would like to get more opinions about using NiMH batteries on a Turbo Express before I try using them. From what I've gathered from this thread and a electronics friend, NiMH batteries seem to be safe to use on a Turbo Express (rather than other types of rechargeable batteries). Can I get more opinions, thoughts, and especially facts on this?

rolins

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:50:33 AM »
Right now, I have a minty boxed TE (w/ D-Lite's sound fix) and I don't want to risk damaging it. I mean I paid a hefty sum for it and I want it to last forever so my grandchildren can appreciate it. Understand that I went thru two dead GTs because of power failures, and this time I'm not letting that happen to my TE. I can't keep paying $100+ for another GT or TE everytime one dies.

Not saying that you should stay away from rechargeables. A 7.2volt NiMH external battery via AC port is perfectly fine, and thats the way I power my TE. But I'm keeping my TE away from any rechargeable AAs because I'm just paranoid.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 12:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the opinion. I'm becomming a little paranoid as well about the subject and I will be satisfied once my AC adapter comes :) . Luckily I got my TE for a great deal ($120 brand new from MindRec :D ) . I'll have to look into the sound fix as well. It looks like I could probably do it myself, but I am not sure if I want to risk it and I might send it to D-Lite or someone else with expertise.