Author Topic: WTB: Duo R/RX power supply  (Read 317 times)

Platinumfungi

WTB: Duo R/RX power supply
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:49:59 AM »
I'm looking to buy a Duo R/RX power supply. I'm almost positive they have the same specs so either should be fine.

The specs on the Duo R psu are:
9V 1000mA - Positive center

Let me know what you have and how much you'd want.

Thanks,
RG

SignOfZeta

Re: WTB: Duo R/RX power supply
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:00:40 AM »
Unless you are obsessed with authenticity you should just buy the Radio Shack #273-1771. Its 9V 1000mA, and you just pick whichever tip you need from the shelf when you buy it. Its just about the only aftermarket power supply you can easily get nowadays that will supply so much current. Also, its white, like the system, which not even the NEC one is.

BTW, there is a good chance that a genuine Duo R/RX power supply will just crap out on you a month later since they are all getting quite old at this point.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »
Thanks for the info Zeta.

I'm fine with any psu that has the appropriate ratings. However I looked that one up and at $30.79 it seems pretty expensive for my purposes at this point in time.

I'll keep that one in mind, and might eventually get it if I find no other options, but I was really hoping to only spend about $10 - $15 max.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:15:02 AM by Red Ghost »

oldskool

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
Unless you are obsessed with authenticity you should just buy the Radio Shack #273-1771. Its 9V 1000mA, and you just pick whichever tip you need from the shelf when you buy it. Its just about the only aftermarket power supply you can easily get nowadays that will supply so much current. Also, its white, like the system, which not even the NEC one is.

BTW, there is a good chance that a genuine Duo R/RX power supply will just crap out on you a month later since they are all getting quite old at this point.

Mine still works.  Actually I've never seen/heard of a PSU going bad.  Even my genuine Atari 2600 adapter still works.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Zeta.

I'm fine with any psu that has the appropriate ratings. However I looked that one up and at $30.79 it seems pretty expensive for my purposes at this point in time.

I'll keep that one in mind, and might eventually get it if I find no other options, but I was really hoping to only spend about $10 - $15 max.

Yeah, it's pretty expensive. I caved and bought it after discovering that getting a 9V 1A power supply nowadays isn't very easy. Most universal stuff out there will only supply half that amount of current, if that. This shouldn't be a surprise though, I guess, since even for its time the Duo was a pretty power hungry creature, and now pretty much nothing sucks that much current.

pcenginesales

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm thinking of bulk buying a load of 9v power supplies and adapting them to work on various consoles. Right now I am looking at UK ones only as I am getting them from HK (same power sockets) however there are reputable chinese electronics companies that used to supply some 9v 1000mA US/Japanese types to the market under Akihabara station when I lived there. Those adapters were good quality, 1/3rd the size of the Duo PSU and a considerable amount lighter.

If anyone is interested please let me know as I think I can branch into this area of sales. I already had people asking about such on Amazon.

It' a bit of a mystery to me though, why people have such a hard time getting the 1 amp types when Amazon over here is so clogged with them, I buy up the multis for my console sales and my major issue with them has in fact been weight. They are so heavy that they bump up postage costs considerably, and as this always cuts into my profits so this is why I am looking at the lighter ones from HK.

These are the ones I am talking about http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/adolchristin_2006/whiteengineusa.jpg

The adapter shown in the picture in fact works on a range of voltages (100-240) and outputs 9V 1.3A. It's very small and light.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:09:14 PM by pcenginesales »
www.retro-access.com - Modded consoles and SCART cables for retro consoles and computers. We ship worldwide.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
These are the ones I am talking about http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/adolchristin_2006/whiteengineusa.jpg
The adapter shown in the picture in fact works on a range of voltages (100-240) and outputs 9V 1.3A. It's very small and light.

Wow, those do look much lighter. Any idea how much one would cost if purchased from you and shipped to the USA?

The Radio Shack psu that can be found here in the USA is $30.79 before any tax (or shipping cost if applicable).

Platinumfungi

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I think I found something interesting.

I want to check this thing out in person before I go talking it up, but I found a USA supplier of what they claim is a 9V 1A pos center adapter for about $9 + shipping.

I should be receiving it this week so I'll post results soon... :-k

pcenginesales

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
You do usually end up replacing the plug that goes into the console, I usually find that the ones I buy have plugs that are just a bit too small for the Core sized systems and too big for the Duos. I ordered some with the right sized plugs for PCE but wrong polarity, I'm hoping they unscrew so I can swap the polarity around in the unit without having to replace anyting.

What I was thinking of is around £5.99 for these which is yeah, around $9. I am going to sell these on Amazon where my original query about selling PSUs for old consoles was made.

I only have one left of the very small 1.3 amp plugs, I'm hunting around for an alternative. Wish I'd brouught a load back from Japan now.
www.retro-access.com - Modded consoles and SCART cables for retro consoles and computers. We ship worldwide.