Author Topic: TG-16 with bad controller connector  (Read 308 times)

coyo5050

TG-16 with bad controller connector
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »
Maybe I am never meant to have one fully working system :( I didn't feel like bothering with the other unit and the bad video so I picked up another loose system. Of corse it came with the controller connector broken off from the controller and still in the port. I am guessing someone stepped on it. So the controller obviously is broken but was hoping the port worked. Tried a known good controller and no go. Video works great though... Is this something that is fixable? Nothing looks badly broken inside but hard to tell with the metal shield still on.

Thank you!

kattare

Re: TG-16 with bad controller connector
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
Yikes, talk about bad luck.

My bet is that either the mobo inside the unit is cracked, or some of the solder points on the port are broken.  I bet if you pop off the shield you could tell which it is.

What are you planning on doing with the one with broken video?

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

coyo5050

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
I pulled the shields off this one, the solder joints were not to good just a little pressure popped most off. The few that were stuck just needed a little heat from a solder gun. I see what you mean about high heat being needed! I looked at the mobo and the connections and there was nothing that looked bad. Very frustrating. Not that I am real sure what I am looking for and probably needs to be tested somehow.

As far as the one with bad video I am trying to get a Booster for it or just pick up a loose working TG16 system only.  I took the shield off that one too and then popped the metal piece off the top of the RF and nothing looked bad there, no obvious issues. It is beyond my skills to remove the RF box.

kattare

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
If you look at the solder points for the controller socket, do any of them look cracked or damaged?  You might just go through and re-solder them all, just for good measure.  It's not uncommon on the Duo and Duo-R(X)'s to see control pad sockets that need re-soldering, though I don't think I've ever seen it on a TG-16, one that has been abused is very likely to need it.

Marll

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »
I fixed a TG-16 with a bad controller port once, the board had been abused and was actually cracked around the solder points. I actually used some solid core wire to basically re-make the runs and re-soldered everything. Been working for years now.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »

I might have a good RF box if you want to do a swap. Otherwise a Composite mod would be the way to go....and you wouldn't need a Turbobooster

Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

coyo5050

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
Swapping the RF box myself is beyond my soldering skills. I did finally find a fully working one which I have been enjoying! Now I have the 2 others, one with good video and bad controller and one with good controller and bad video, lol. The composite mode seems like a good idea! The instructions on the forum here?

kattare

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
Next time I do a composite mod I'll put together a quick howto.  I've been meaning to do one for a while now anyway.

coyo5050

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
Cool, let me know when you do. Might as well get a second working one! Now if only I new how to test to figure out what is bad on the bad controller one.