Author Topic: Game to test Turbo Duo systems with?  (Read 257 times)

savageone

Game to test Turbo Duo systems with?
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
I'm looking for a game that could test out the sound on a Turbo Duo system. Anyone know of any game that has a good sound test menu that will test all the different sorts of audio (as in not just CD audio) the Turbo Duo outputs? A nice bonus would be something that could easily recorded and matched up for comparison with a 2nd system.

Similarly: What would be a good game to run CD load time tests with?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Game to test Turbo Duo systems with?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Dragon Slayer 6: Legend of Heroes would be great as it has CD music, and PSG (chiptune) music that you can toggle.

or, the game I made (Insanity), uses either CD or chip audio, and also has ADPCM samples.  So you would get a full range of tests from that.

Those are my two suggestions!  There are more of course.

as for CD-load times, what do you mean?

We made a cd-loadtime test program here that I still need to take pictures of and post...   does that help much?
Are you trying to see if one system is loading slower than the other or something?
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

savageone

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
I'll look into those and if anything I could just keep using Castlevania but still hoping for something quicker.

For the load times I'm comparing the loading on two systems yea. I really doubt there will be much difference but I'd like to do it any ways, I suppose just about any game will do but with all the problems Duo systems have I thought there would be some defacto benchmarks to run.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
I'll look into those and if anything I could just keep using Castlevania but still hoping for something quicker.

For the load times I'm comparing the loading on two systems yea. I really doubt there will be much difference but I'd like to do it any ways, I suppose just about any game will do but with all the problems Duo systems have I thought there would be some defacto benchmarks to run.

3 out of 4 PCE fans agree that Neo Nectaris is the de facto benchmark. Just kidding :)

Neo Nectaris has both PSG (enter password) and Red Book audio (title screen). You can also play PSG from the original Nectaris HuCard ROM, which Hudson included as a bonus.

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

are you wanting to burn a CD to test things? or do you want to use real games.

The timing test disc we have here might be of use to you.  As long as both systems give about the same results.... :D
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Tablet

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Art of Fighting has loading screens with a progress bar though I'm not sure if the music is chip tune or not

But then again that is a pce arcade game which would mean you'd have to buy an arcade card and converter, I haven't came into contact with any non arcade cd games that extended load times, for the most part they're pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:06:34 PM by Tablet »

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
Take Snatcher Pilot disk :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
I use YS III as my test disk, I start a new game, get CD and chip tunes, then ADPCM sound. If there is a game that has ADPCM samples (like in a test menu) that would save me a little time, anyone know of one?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

kattare

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
I use the gate of thunder 3 in 1 disc.  The intro covers just about everything, (I suspect the applause may even be redbook) and if something is questionable, you just hit start a few times and you're in gate of thunder, which also covers everything in just a few seconds of play.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

savageone

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like everyone does something slightly different. I do prefer to use actual games but wouldn't mind burning a disc if it proved to be a reliable benchmark.

What worries me right now is I was playing Castlevania and in that a few levels in where you rescue Maria the background music seemed rather distorted. I thought that would be a CD track but listening to all the tracks on the CD it doesn't seem to be there. What sort of audio does that cutscene use? The youtube video is rather quiet so it's hard to tell if there is any distortion on the audio or if that is normal, unfortunately my other Duo isn't on hand at the moment for comparison.