Author Topic: PC Engine Printer on the 'bay  (Read 471 times)

Keranu

PC Engine Printer on the 'bay
« on: July 21, 2005, 11:46:15 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8170947447&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

I have been to the link the seller lists, which is where I first saw pics of the printer. Some one on these boards (I think Black Tiger) posted the link before. Anyways, it's quite cool to see that he is actually selling it and if any hardcore collectors want one, I assume this would be your best chance. Who knows how many more times you'll see one of these on Ebay.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 01:12:49 PM »
Wow...I didn't even know this thing existed.  If I had $500 to spare right now, I wouldn't even think twice.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

lord_cack

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 05:26:03 PM »
:shock:
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

cozzie

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:01 PM »
You can buy the printer on Yahoo Japan starting at 5000 yen they are not uncommon.
Also the pc engine cd rom amp Karaoke machine same starting price .

lord_cack

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
Quote from: "cozzie"
You can buy the printer on Yahoo Japan starting at 5000 yen they are not uncommon.

Then this is why we need to have a readily accessible and wide spread list of hardware/software and rarity guide. Check out www.atariage.com they have one hell of an operation going on. Rarity guide, hardware guide, tons of pics and more. This is a set up that we could very much use in our community instead of having to go several places to get it. I know thats what www.pcenginefx.com desires to be but it isn't there yet.

Maybe we as a community should look into ways of accomplishing the same level of detail in one place....be more unified about things... :D

twor2005

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
Quote from: "lord_cack"

Then this is why we need to have a readily accessible and wide spread list of hardware/software and rarity guide. Check out www.atariage.com they have one hell of an operation going on. Rarity guide, hardware guide, tons of pics and more. This is a set up that we could very much use in our community instead of having to go several places to get it. I know thats what www.pcenginefx.com desires to be but it isn't there yet.

Maybe we as a community should look into ways of accomplishing the same level of detail in one place....be more unified about things... :D

There's a software price guide in that magazine about classic games they sell at Blockbuster: but it's quite humorous. It's like they just listed most of the games and made up some prices. Dynastic Hero is listed for $30
 :)

The auction was something I've never seen before or even knew existed! Looks like you would need an original white PCE to make it work. But actually I can post some pics from the Artist Tool Rom if anyone is interested.

NeoFreak

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 02:42:23 AM »
I think we need a guide, but its a touchy subject. over at neo-geo.com   people would go ape shit because they felt the guide raised prices; and the prices have fluctuated a great deal over the last 5 years. That whole enviornment is quite a bit different than here though, we could use one.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

esteban

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 08:40:24 PM »

Rarity guide and price guide: check out Digital Press. While it may not be perfect,they've been doing it for much longer than anyone else (for TG-16 items).  Check out their methodology... while far from perfect, it is a good start...

The problem with rarity / price guides is that they need to be updated constantly and there is just so much variability:

1. regional differences: Japan vs. Europe vs. US
2. what is a fair market price? most folks get items from ebay, and ebay is the only data that is freely available, but should ebay really be the baseline?
3. rarity vs. "in demand" (Dracula X is in demand and commands a high price on ebay).
4. price should correlate to item's condition, but sellers on ebay do not grade condition in a systematic, objective manner.  So mining data from ebay is not as useful as it first seems.
5. folks who snag great deals, or get ripped off, will skew the average price.
  |    | 

lord_cack

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:39:46 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

Rarity guide and price guide: check out Digital Press. While it may not be perfect,they've been doing it for much longer than anyone else (for TG-16 items).  Check out their methodology... while far from perfect, it is a good start...

The problem with rarity / price guides is that they need to be updated constantly and there is just so much variability:

1. regional differences: Japan vs. Europe vs. US
2. what is a fair market price? most folks get items from ebay, and ebay is the only data that is freely available, but should ebay really be the baseline?
3. rarity vs. "in demand" (Dracula X is in demand and commands a high price on ebay).
4. price should correlate to item's condition, but sellers on ebay do not grade condition in a systematic, objective manner.  So mining data from ebay is not as useful as it first seems.
5. folks who snag great deals, or get ripped off, will skew the average price.

I wasn't just so much speaking about the rarity and price guide as I was cohesiveness (is that a word :D ). Just look at the atari age page. It has all the games listed, links pics...its an incredible format and a great resource for that community. Just getting something more together would be great.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 08:07:25 AM »
yes, "cohesiveness" is the perfect word for explaining what you meant!  

Now, while cohesiveness is nice and convenient, it is rare for only one site to excel at everything: so, that's why I like to see a bunch of sites that specialize in different aspects of TG16 / PCE universe. Still, I totally agree with you, it would be nice if we had a site like atariage -- or lemon64 (what a kool site! C64 fans take note) -- but those sites take so much work and effort, they only succeed if they get a lot of support.

PCECP is simply an amazing resource for software, but only a handful of folks have contributed reviews to it (or hints  / cheats).  We could organize a campaign to try to fix this, and make PCECP EVEN BETTER!  But I don't know, it would require a high level of committment for a long period of time before it got to the point we'd be really proud of.  

The PC-Engine Bible has lots of capsule reviews, which is nice, but I think the wallpaper downloads are the Bible's best "unique" contribution to the Turbo Scene.

Stupid gamefaqs has lots of great info (i.e. reviews / faqs), but its gamefaqs and I will only go there if I'm desperate (i hate the ads, plus I get spyware / popups whenever I visit that site).  plus i hate the goddam ads.

Anyway, to sum it up: yes, I totally agree with your sentiments... it would be nice to have a centralized, uber-site.  But, we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket -- so having a loose-knit collection of sites is pretty nice (just bookmark them!)

my 2 cents, anyway :)
  |    |