Author Topic: RESCUED: TG-16, tap, 2 controllers.  (Read 258 times)

kid_rondeau

RESCUED: TG-16, tap, 2 controllers.
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
A few hours ago, a friend of mine called me up from a new secondhand store in Worcester...

Friend: "I'm at the new Savers on Lincoln Street...they have a TurboGrafx-16."
Me: "How much is it and what does it come with?"
Friend: "It's $40, and it comes with the power supply, the RF switch, 2 pads, and a TurboTap."
Me: "'I'm on my way."

So yeah, I bought it. It was exactly as described. The system doesn't appear to have been used a great deal, in the sense that the chip slot is very snug. It's very dirty, though, and is missing the expansion port cover. The pads and tap are in excellent shape. The only problem I found is that the RF port is touch-and-go.

I guess I didn't need to buy a fourth TG-16, but I like to have spares on hand, to make frankensystems if necessary, and so that I can ensure it ends up in the hands of a collector.

Just sayin'.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: RESCUED: TG-16, tap, 2 controllers.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
Not bad!

Describe touch and go with the RF
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
Well, I thought the RF switch was bad at first, because I couldn't get any picture...but the switch was on the right channel and everything. Usually I can get a fleeting screen image if I wiggle the wire right behind the plug, but here that didn't work. Curiously, when I disconnected and reconnected the plug into the port, I got an image for a few seconds. In that time, wiggling the wire didn't do anything, but the image went away on its own.

Normally that would irk my tater, but I just got it for spares, and I never use RF anymore....especially after using S-Video for so long!

I'd probably pay $40 for just the 2 pads and the tap, even without the system, if they were in good enough shape, and if I didn't already have 10 pads and 2 taps.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:21 AM »
not bad!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:45 AM »
Nice find, but too bad they didn't have some OMG R@R3! games to go with it.  I assume it's a US system and not the UK version (since you say TG-16), but have you ever seen one of the pal versions in the wild?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

kid_rondeau

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Necro,
Nope...no uber rare Keith Courage included (I'm still holding out hope of finding that one someday)... And it was the US version, as you've indicated. No, I don't think I've ever seen a PAL Turbo! The only place I can reliably find a TurboGrafx for sale in an actual store is The Video Game Exchange in Plaistow, NH. The guy who runs it is pretty decent, and always has 3 or 4 Turbos on hand, hookups, pads...etc.