Author Topic: RF Module...  (Read 377 times)

goombakid

RF Module...
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
So, being as adventurous as I am now with modding, I'm planning to RGB mod my TG16, possibly the PCE Duo if I'm successful with the TG16. Seeing that I already A/V modded my TG16 already, I figure that I won't be using the RF anymore.

Is there any harm if I removed the module from the board? I'm thinking that it's OK to have both the A/V and RGB installed. I'll be using the RGB input on my LCD HDTV, figure that's what it's there for.  :D

If this is successful, I may just RGB mod all of my older consoles that can have it done. :P

blueraven

Re: RF Module...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
If you need the area where the RF module is for a more modern modification i.e., SCART, RGB, or AV, I would say yes, Or perhaps if there was nowhere to put another plug for an LED or an Ice Cream maker. Is the RF hurting anything?
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

goombakid

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
Just checking if the console will not function without the RF Module soldered on the board. I figure the RGB cable, LED array, and a popcorn maker would fit in that area nicely. Thanks for the input!

blueraven

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
Sure, I don't know if the unit will cease to function upon removal of the RF, but I would assume It would still work. Don't quote me on that :D

Please follow up with he results. :)

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
I know I read somewhere that someone had removed it to make room for something and that it worked just fine... not sure where I read that though.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

goombakid

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:01:03 AM »
I know I read somewhere that someone had removed it to make room for something and that it worked just fine... not sure where I read that though.

I think it was Duo-R that had a mod up with the RF module gone, put something in there like a switch or led.

Off on a tangent here, but am I able to use a VGA connector in my TG16 to connect to the VGA input on my HDTV (NTSC)? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept that's all new to me. I THOUGHT I had it all down, but upon further research, I was kinda off.

Duo_R

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
I can assure you the system works fine without the RF box. I removed mine and installed a RCA plug that outputs composite video:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6403.msg107781#msg107781

Since that left a gap where the channel switch was, I put in a little cover and installed a Power LED:

Also I put the audio output on the back, and it won't get in the way if the unit is ever upgraded to a CD dock:

http://img204.imageshack.us/i/img0013ga4.jpg
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

bartre

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »
and a backup, proving that the same is true for a PCE system.
looks like mmmonkey replaced it with a jack for rgb out:

http://mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/rgb.htm

SuperDeadite

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:55:23 AM »

I think it was Duo-R that had a mod up with the RF module gone, put something in there like a switch or led.

Off on a tangent here, but am I able to use a VGA connector in my TG16 to connect to the VGA input on my HDTV (NTSC)? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept that's all new to me. I THOUGHT I had it all down, but upon further research, I was kinda off.

Depends on your TV.  PCE RGB = 15khz RGB.  Standard VGA= 31khz RGB.  However I've heard quite a few plasmas will accept 15khz through their VGA port.  However the majority of HDTVs will not take a 15khz signal this way.  Best option is an XRGB Unit, which properly upscales 15k-->VGA.  They work beautifully, but are a bit pricey.  The cheap method is to get an RGB->Component Transcoder.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

goombakid

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
I kinda figured I might have to go that route with a Transcoder. Was looking at getting the JROK one, but configure it so I can just use one of those transcoders for multiple game consoles.