Author Topic: PC ENGINE Plugable rgb mod via exp port- complete and easy  (Read 922 times)

seefuu1

Re: PC ENGINE Plugable rgb mod via exp port- complete and easy
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »

heads up this mod won't work with the cd rom. But u can solder to the same pins on the inside very easily.    

I'd really like to see the pictures when you get it set up for use with the CD ROM.

heads up this mod won't work with the cd rom. But u can solder to the same pins on the inside very easily.    

I'd really like to see the pictures when you get it set up for use with the CD ROM.

Yes this mod won't work with the briefcase,obviously, as it's lacking the extra needed connections,but as you can see i've been hunting for a better matching box .The one for the briefcase ,i originally had all 69 connections from the exp ports connected to each other and the video pins coming from the pc engine were connected in a y crimped wire connection .But because of looking further into the briefcase's wiring and the pc engines ,most of the output connections from the briefcase's exp port aren't actually connected /used,it's about 11 points on the IFU-30 that look to be used ,the only video connection it uses is comp sync .

seefuu1

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:33 AM »

Yes it's very easy to do that,it's how i RGB modded my pc engine ,with a 8 pin mini din socket and amp inside the console going to an rgb scart lead with an 8 pin mini din plug .

But if you read the gamesX link,you'll see why i made this RGB mod box ,it's not something i will use as i  know my way around a soldering iron  and now know a few more things about electronics ,but those that don't ,can just get one of these made up for them and posted to them.All they need extra ,is to just buy a rgb/fully wired scart lead to plug into it to be up and running (UK/euro people)

Good gear son.

seefuu1

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:16 AM »
Not right in front of me, right now, no.  But is shouldn't be hard to find...look for a DIN connector, right angle, with an excess number of pins (and mounting ears)....cut to size.  The physical pin positions fit a .100 x .100 pre-punched perf board.
I can dig up the actual part number if needed...and maybe a picture.

Charlie

254 mm or 0.1 inch pitch yes ?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:04:56 AM by seefuu1 »

seefuu1

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 01:52:35 AM »

I can dig up the actual part number if needed...and maybe a picture.

Charlie

Please do

http://www.chipcatalog.com/Omron_Electronics_Inc-ECB_Div/XC5C-9682-1.htm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:04:19 AM by seefuu1 »

Duo_R

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 03:09:10 AM »
Sorry for getting a little off topic, again a great non solder guide! :-)
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

seefuu1

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:24 AM »
 :dance:

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 01:55:49 AM »
I used Digikey #609-2116-ND 96 position three row right angle, cut to size.

This right angle connector allows direct connect to a .100x.100 perfboard (or, of course, a custom board).  However, you cannot fit a board inside the typical (non-booster) case.

This shows a straignt version I used for direct cable.  This CAN be fit inside the original non-booster case.

Charlie
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:07:01 AM by Charlie »

Duo_R

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
holy @$#%#@ that is money!!!! Thanks Charlie
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Charlie

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
ok...not sure what "that is money" means, but whatever.

Just to be clear, that circuit is obviously NOT amplified, it just brings out the RGB/Audio lines.  Works ok on some TVs, no so ok on others.
And it only fits in the rear cover if you squeeze it down and can live with the rear cover not fully installed.

The active amp is obviously the better way to go.

Charlie

seefuu1

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
Added extras

seefuu1

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »
I used Digikey #609-2116-ND 96 position three row right angle, cut to size.

This right angle connector allows direct connect to a .100x.100 perfboard (or, of course, a custom board).  However, you cannot fit a board inside the typical (non-booster) case.

This shows a straignt version I used for direct cable.  This CAN be fit inside the original non-booster case.

Charlie

I was looking at those from digi-key ,but the thing stopping me was the £12 shipping on top of the price of 1 din .OUCH!
http://www.digikey.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:49:28 AM by seefuu1 »

chop5

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 08:18:07 AM »
very nice project seefuu1  :clap:
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
Obviously I don't know your area, but I am sure there must be other places to get it.  At least you now know of something that can work.

Charlie

seefuu1

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 06:15:50 AM »
Obviously I don't know your area, but I am sure there must be other places to get it.  At least you now know of something that can work.

Charlie

Even my other local ones have to order them in,from the states and that's with a one off charge of £15 .crazy

one thing that will happen with using the DIN though,is that eventually the soldered wires will just snap off of the pins from movement,even more so when using such a high gauge wire.That risk will go up again if you are using those wires to pull the DIN connector out from the exp port,even with heatshrink.

If there's a crimp version available that would be better as the wire's insulation will give it more strength !
Good gear.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:41:14 AM by seefuu1 »

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:13 AM »
==>the soldered wires will just snap off of the pins from movement<==

Yes, that is obviously a problem...I just add a "pull wire" for that.  But, as I mentioned, if you use the right angle connector, you can mount it direct to the PCB board.  This makes it easy to grab for pulling, and will even help support a pull on the wires.

I'm sure you will be able to find a different connector that meets your needs; this one works well for me.

Charlie