Author Topic: JP Sega Saturn video problem (everything else works, but no video or sound)  (Read 343 times)

christoph

I have a gray Model 1 Japanese Sega Saturn. You plug it in, power it up and everything looks to work just fine. The disc drive spins, you can hear it reading the disc and so on.

BUT, no video on the screen, no sound either. When you turn the Saturn on the video on the television flickers for a moment, but then it just stays black. I opened it up to look for anything obvious - anyone have any idea of what I can replace or look for?

It is being hooked up via the standard composite av cables that it comes with. I have also tried using the same power chord and av cables on my US Saturn and it works fine. So its clearly something internally with this. Any tips?

It has to be an easy fix if EVERYTHING else work perfectly.. ;/

Help is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:18:34 AM by christoph »

christoph

I managed to swap a couple things on a US power board to make it work in place of the potential broken JP power board. I installed it (definitely working) - SAME PROBLEM. It does the EXACT same thing as before..

So yeah.. Definitely not the power board. WTF could it be?

christoph

It has to be a video cap or something. Is there any cap replacement charts in the Saturn Community? I just need to identify all the Video Caps on a JP Saturn and then I can replace them and I bet it will work.

Something like this:

christoph

Trying to figure out what video/audio caps I need to replace on this. Any help is appreciated. Only thing I dont get is why the video AND audio doesn't work. Unless there is caps on this board that handle video and audio.. Also.. are all AV Cables (composite) for the saturn the same for JP, US, PAL? Same pins and everything?

SignOfZeta

I've never seen this problem before. But then, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Saturn that wasn't %100 functional (cart slot aside, of course), these things are very well made.

I wouldn't assume the problem could be fixed by replacing caps. The reason so many PCE systems can be fixed this way is because they were made during a short time period where most of the caps in the world were defective. This problem was fixed rather quickly, which is why you don't see many Duo Rs needing cap replacement.

The fact that you have zero audio or video is suspicious. Look the socket over really good, especially the ground. IIRC the video and both audios use the same ground.

AFAIK all US and JP systems have the same AV pin-out. I have no clue about PAL because PAL sucks.

christoph

Look the socket over really good, especially the ground.

When you say socket, what are you referring to? The AV input port that I plug my AV cables into?

I am considering swapping the A/V port on the back with a one I know is working from another Saturn this afternoon
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:58:33 AM by christoph »

SignOfZeta

Yeah, the AV port. Check where it connects to the board and make sure none of the solder points have broken loose.

Platinumfungi

I'd agree with SignOfZeta - I'd be surprised if the issue was capacitor related. As far as I know the Sega Saturn isn't known for capacitor issues, so I'd look at other areas. Also, I don't think that having both no audio and no video is a common issue with the Saturn, so hopefully it is an easy fix...

Sounds like you've already checked:
- AV cord
- Power cord
- Power PCB

I'm not sure if they're compatible, but if it's possible swap the laser assembly from a known working unit into this unit. On that note, swap everything you possibly can, one at a time, from a known working Saturn and this Saturn for troubleshooting purposes. Hopefully that will help narrow things down even further.

My general thoughts for this type of issue:
- Examine both the external and internal components visually for ANYTHING that looks suspicious. Check the jacks/ports for debris, bent pins, cracks, old solder, etc.
- AV cord
- AV jack
- Laser lens issue - needs to be calibrated or replaced
- "Lid open" switch - check and make sure it's connected and functioning properly
- Remove any RAM or other carts from the cart slot
- TV jack issue
- Switch selector issue ( if you're using one of those "plug 8 game systems in at the same time" devices)

If you want to replace the caps, send me some macro photos of the caps you want to replace and I'll help you identify the values  :D 

christoph

Thanks for the response and tips, I may have found a few motherboards I can buy that I might end up swapping.

Chop kindly helped me identify a bunch of caps, I replaced them and the problem didn't go away. We were thinking if I replace the AV port and it still does not work, its a chip on the motherboard. I have looked this thing over a hundred times and everything is in pristine condition, no cracks, breaks loose items anywhere.

Anyone know of a 3rd party replacement AV Jack that would work on this saturn? Instead of having to find another broken saturn just for the AV jack :/