Author Topic: This is not good...the docking station won't turn on  (Read 482 times)

djkcel

This is not good...the docking station won't turn on
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Aw man, now another problem?  The docking station won't even power the TG-16 anymore.

I admit I left it on all day because I forgot to turn it off last night.

But should that make such a difference?  I power it up and nothing happens.  I tried using the Turbografx 16 alone and it works fine.  I tried using the docking station's adapter on the CD player and it works fine.  The issue seems to be with the docking station itself.

I suspect it might be that little wheel thing on the bottom that locks into place.  It seems a little loose.  Is this what powers the station up?  Is there any way to address this?  I don't know what else it would be.  I really want this thing to work :(

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

djkcel

Re: This is not good...the docking station won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
Update:  I hear something sliding around in the back.  It jiggles when you shake it, and when you move the system around, it slides around.  I have no idea what this could be.  Maybe a chip, a capacitor...no clue.

Can docking stations be taken apart?

Official Ninja

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:52 AM »
Could it be something to do with the little knob on the side, that locks in the cd-rom drive?

djkcel

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
The CD player knob seems to be fine.  I've tried with it both locked and unlocked and there's no effect.  The CD player can't get power from the docking station.l

I think something is loose in the back of the station.  I would take it apart to see but I would really have no idea what I'm doing...I don't even know what kind of screwdriver is required.

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:25 AM »
You need a special type of security bit to take it apart. I picked one up a few years ago but I forget exactly what it's called... someone else around here would know. :)

nikdog

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
if you search 4.5mm gamebit you will find it. The real name is over the head something or other, but people only know it now as "Gamebit"

djkcel

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »
ug I always freak out when my turbo doesnt work but it is always the side knob next to the cd
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

djkcel

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Wow, this guy's absolutely right.  I put the CD player back on and locked it in and all of a sudden it worked again.

Take the CD player out and the Turbografx won't power on. 

That's weird!  It's almost as if NEC is demanding that you have them together at all times.  At any rate, thank you for all the help.  I'm so glad it works again. :D

TheOldMan

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
The side knob and bottom knob are safety interlocks. NEC doesn't want you accidentally shorting the cd base unit out, or having it come apart from the turbo on accident.

And most of us with cd base units have had that moment where we panic, only to find out we forgot to lock the cd in right :-)

blueraven

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Wow, this guy's absolutely right.  I put the CD player back on and locked it in and all of a sudden it worked again.

Take the CD player out and the Turbografx won't power on.  

That's weird!  It's almost as if NEC is demanding that you have them together at all times.  At any rate, thank you for all the help.  I'm so glad it works again. :D

If you lock the TG IFU without a CDROM2 drive you can use it as a turbo-booster for your TG16.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:49:01 PM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Phades

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Ok.... this is interesting news. I have a buddy that just picked up a "broken" cd dock off of eBay for $20 with no CD player. I'm curious now if the locking bit just needed to be turned. That'd be super cool if that's all it was. I'll have to let him know. Thanks guys!

Also, been lurking forever. Glad I can finally post!  :D

djkcel

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »
Ok.... this is interesting news. I have a buddy that just picked up a "broken" cd dock off of eBay for $20 with no CD player. I'm curious now if the locking bit just needed to be turned. That'd be super cool if that's all it was. I'll have to let him know. Thanks guys!

I saw that broken docking station on ebay.  I was wondering who would end up taking it on...let me know if he ever gets it to work!

Official Ninja

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »

Yes. I think someone said it already, but if you don't have the cd drive, you still have to turn the locking knob and it will work.