Author Topic: Problems with (used) XRGB-2+  (Read 186 times)

SignOfZeta

Problems with (used) XRGB-2+
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
Not sure where to post this, but I thought maybe someone could help....

Good News! The XRGB2+ arrived today!

Bad News! It doesn't work!

I have no experience with these units, but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with it. I get no onscreen menus of any kind. The monitor doesn't sync (goes into standby) no sound.

I have no idea what the unit is doing internally, but I get no picture out of it on either my 17" monitor or my 27" TV (which has VGA input). I also get no sound (so my monitors are not the problem). For testing purposes I'm using a Saturn connected via composite and RGB. Before you ask, the first thing I did was make sure my RGB complied to the Japan standard, so no I didn't melt anything. :)

When I first plugged it in the unit would instantly turn on (both "Power" and "31kHz" lights are lit). The power button did nothing. Then I found the "reset" procedure online and did that ("when the unit is off, hold the left (←) and right (→) arrow buttons on the unit (not remote) and press the power button"). After doing this the unit is in Standby when you plug it in. Once you turn it on it stays on. This is what the seller said it did for him too (although according to him it worked once powered up). A split second after the "Power" light comes on the 31kHz light comes on (even with no source plugged in). I tried forcing it to boot in 47kHz mode btw, no change.

I opened up the unit (looks perfect) and saw several relays in there. I assume that when you switch inputs on a working unit it probably "clicks". Is this the case? I get no clicking noise. I get a "click" when I turn it on, but that's it. I also checked that the Power button wasn't stuck, it isn't. The Power switch works normally when checked with a meter. Everything looks good inside, physically.

My assumption is that the unit is stuck half way through the powering up process, but I don't know. BTW, it will power up from the remote, in exactly the same way, but once again all the buttons do nothing.

Any ideas?

SuperDeadite

Re: Problems with (used) XRGB-2+
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
Sounds like you got scammed with a broken unit.  With no cables attached, it will simply display "No Signal" on your screen and you can still use the menus.  And yes there is a quick click when taken out of standby.  If the factory reset didn't work, sounds like it's really f*cked up.  Only real thing you could do is send an email directly to Micomsoft.  They do have an English speaker and will respond to tech support questions, just be clear and polite.  Though really you should just get your money back.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Official Ninja

Re: Problems with (used) XRGB-2+
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »
Yeah, you should be able to get to the menus even with no input source plugged in.

There is an option to turn on when power is applied. That is why it automatically turned on when you 1st got it. I guess if you use it on a power strip that would be a helpful option.

I use my XRGB2+ with my NeoGeo AES via RGB scart.