Author Topic: Getting music off CD games?  (Read 291 times)

A_Locomotive

Getting music off CD games?
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
So I remembered reading somewhere that you should pop PCE CD games into your computer and play the games music so I just gave that a try with Winds of Thunder and am not really sure what happened. lol itunes found it immediately, one track was listed as 4 hrs another as 16 and the rest as unavailable.  :shock: So I tried copying it and it managed to get a small sound bit before itunes locked up. Playing back what it did manage to copy I was greeted with a women speaking japanese for a while and then a bunch of loud crazy glitchy noises for 2 minutes. lol So how is it I go about copying the music files from the games?

ccovell

Re: Getting music off CD games?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Something happened around the era of Windows XP (was it XP?) that made this no longer possible. I'm not sure what it was specifically, but you can't just do that anymore. Kind of odd, IMO. It worked in Win 98, and it works in my 2 year old Macbook, with iTunes even pulling the track names for some games (Ys IV, for example).

So yeah, TurboRip. TurboRip is great.

GameFreak

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »
i was wondering the same thing in another thread....winamp and videolan seem to work... -->   http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9748.0

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »
Nero works and so does any basic audio ripper to get the audio tracks as well.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »
A_Locomotive: it doesn't hurt to understand the basic layout of the PCE CD-ROM.

TRACK 1: short audio ("Redbook") track ("warning, this isn't a standard audio CD")
TRACK 2: Game data
TRACK 3-XX: Music/cinema Redbook audio tracks (note: CD-ROM games do not necessarily have to use Redbook audio...other methods can generate in-game music and cinema soundtrack)

Note: the above info is GENERALLY the format for organizing PCE CD-ROM's, but there are many variations/exceptions  For example, sometimes there are additional data tracks. Data tracks may be interspersed with Redbook tracks (3-XX, some games alternate between Redbook and data); sometimes a second data track is included towards end of disc.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:58:39 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:57:47 AM »
my spare sapphire booty is always in my VW's cd changer and works great listening through all the tracks, haven't tried other games though.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Ji-L87

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »
I couldn't get TurboRip to work on W7x64. I rebooted once but I get some error about not being able to open registry for SCI ports or something.
I tried ripping the soundtrack from Avenger in foobar2k with the LAME mp3 plugin, not a complete success but most tracks came out good. One got cut short though.
VLC didn't work that well for me - each other track just hissed and sounded weird. Haven't tried WinAmp yet...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:04:03 AM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Opethian

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:04 AM »
I been using EAC for years and it works well with LAME

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

SuperPlay

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
I rip the CD using the "Rip PCE CD" option in tools in the Turbo Engine Emulator.  Then I compress the .wav files to mp3 using Lame (with Razor Lame front end)

Turbo Engine:  http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/www/turbo.html

Razor Lame: http://www.dors.de/razorlame/download.php

If you need to get hold of lame.exe send me a PM and I will get it over to you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:14:03 AM by SuperPlay »

esteban

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »
I couldn't get TurboRip to work on W7x64. I rebooted once but I get some error about not being able to open registry for SCI ports or something.
I tried ripping the soundtrack from Avenger in foobar2k with the LAME mp3 plugin, not a complete success but most tracks came out good. One got cut short though.
VLC didn't work that well for me - each other track just hissed and sounded weird. Haven't tried WinAmp yet...

Quick Aside: Avenger actually has a decent soundtrack, IMHO. It's classic "Telenet House Band"
  |    | 

Ji-L87

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:56 AM »
I rip the CD using the "Rip PCE CD" option in tools in the Turbo Engine Emulator.  Then I compress the .wav files to mp3 using Lame (with Razor Lame front end)

That seemed to work brilliantly! Thanks.
Had to run it in XP SP2-mode tho', otherwise it crashed when ripping - heads up Win7 users.
Now to load up my mp3 player with some obey...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:42:39 AM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.