Author Topic: Tennokoe Bank corrupting CF2 data?  (Read 283 times)

vestcoat

Tennokoe Bank corrupting CF2 data?
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »
Is it possible for the Tennokoe Bank to somehow alter save files and make them unreadable?

I transferred some old files back to my Duo and when I tried to resume my Cosmic Fantasy 2 game it couldn't load; the disc just kept spinning without any particular noises. 

So far I've tried:
1)  Cleaning the disc
2)  Cleaning the lens with a lens-cleaner CD
3)  Inserting a brand-new CF2 disc and trying to load off that
4)  Loading the Ys file that was also saved on the same Tennokoe Bank (successful)   
5)  Starting a new game on CF2 and saving and loading that (successful)
6)  Loading the save file from a different system (SGX w/SCD - unsuccessful)

I don't think the lens is the problem.
I know Shape Shifter can corrupt neighboring save files, but there was no Shape Shifter data on the Tennokoe Bank.   
I had the same problem back in '97 and blamed it on the extremely dysfunctional Barney Converter that I used with my Tennokoe Bank.  These days I use a Miria converter that works well.

DragonmasterDan

Re: Tennokoe Bank corrupting CF2 data?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
Is it possible for the Tennokoe Bank to somehow alter save files and make them unreadable?

I transferred some old files back to my Duo and when I tried to resume my Cosmic Fantasy 2 game it couldn't load; the disc just kept spinning without any particular noises. 

So far I've tried:
1)  Cleaning the disc
2)  Cleaning the lens with a lens-cleaner CD
3)  Inserting a brand-new CF2 disc and trying to load off that
4)  Loading the Ys file that was also saved on the same Tennokoe Bank (successful)   
5)  Starting a new game on CF2 and saving and loading that (successful)
6)  Loading the save file from a different system (SGX w/SCD - unsuccessful)

I don't think the lens is the problem.
I know Shape Shifter can corrupt neighboring save files, but there was no Shape Shifter data on the Tennokoe Bank.   
I had the same problem back in '97 and blamed it on the extremely dysfunctional Barney Converter that I used with my Tennokoe Bank.  These days I use a Miria converter that works well.

I actually ran into the same problem copying saves from one Duo to another with the Tennokoe Bank. CF2 wouldn't load after copying. I blamed the Tennokoe Bank.
--DragonmasterDan

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »
Damn.  I'm never going to beat CF2.  Every time I get up the gumption to play it I lose my save files.  This is the 3rd time.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
Damn.  I'm never going to beat CF2.  Every time I get up the gumption to play it I lose my save files.  This is the 3rd time.

So I tested this earlier, the save file on the original machine still works, copying it to the Tennokoe bank and then over to the other machine is where it fails.
--DragonmasterDan

nat

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
Interesting. Must be a bug in the Tennokoe Bank where certain necessary information is lost. This is going to prove to be a major headache when I get around to playing the game, as I swap out my Duo memory for an empty bank when I'm tackling an RPG. I swap the main Duo memory back in between plays, though. I won't be able to do that with CF2 from the sound of it though, ugh.

It'd be neat to try and use the BRAM Tool to see if you could figure out exactly what information is getting dumped. Maybe it's just a byte or two.

kattare

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
That really blows.  I'll have to keep it in mind.  Maybe I'll get out and use my TGCD for CF2.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:43 PM »
So I did a little more testing before work. I powered up the game, started a new game. Saved ASAP. Dumped the save data from my Duo to the bank, uploaded another saved data. Checked the BIOS memory manager. Put the Tennokoe Bank back in, and then copied the data back and it worked.

This leaves me with a few possibilities, one is that only certain conditions exist in which the save file data gets corrupted, the second of which might be some problem with the other Duo and the Tennokoe Bank.
--DragonmasterDan