Author Topic: PCE old Pal mod reversal.  (Read 654 times)

mamejay

Re: PCE old Pal mod reversal.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Let me know how you go.
If you still have the original crystal installed I am a little concerned that they may have cut a trace somewhere on your board.  Mine was totally removed so no traces were cut.
Just check yours for cut traces.  If you look at the crystal onboard there is a squared off corner.  The opposite diagonal corner is the MHz output.  Follow that pins trace and see if they broke it somewhere.

thesteve

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:16 AM »
crystals are not directional

snow Crash

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
I can't see any cut traces, i think the mod totally over rode that part of the board. Here's a pic of the board:

does it look the same as yours?

mamejay

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
mine board is slightly different.  I just know from doing Sega Mega Drive crystal oscillator mods that you need to cut the trace if you do not remove the crystal oscillator,   That is the rectangular box thing.
Mine was already removed and the additional board output was being fed to the where the oscillator was.

snow Crash

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 05:08:30 AM »
update: put the components back in, looks ok, but the pce crashes after a couple of minutes playing?

Seems ok now, I'd accidentally shorted the capacitor, ended up using a ceramic one instead.

Now i must play R-type
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:50:26 AM by snow Crash »

mamejay

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Excellent.  I am killing myself to find a oscillator to put into the one I removed it from.  Damn impossible to find.

snow Crash

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
Yeah,since you've been a good source of help, I've been looking on-line to see if they are about, but I mainly found forum posts by you asking for them!

and

http://uk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=HC49US-21.47720MABJ-UBvirtualkey69500000virtualkey695-HC49US-214-U

Although logically they should also be inside other electronics generating a video signal as well, finding out which ones might be tricky. Probably it would we worth buying some retro junk camcorders and the like to find one.

mamejay

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
Thanks for that Snow Crash but that is only a crystal.  Another member on the forum has kindly found me a couple from some junk PCE's that he has.
I LOVE THIS SITE!!

soop

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
huh, I had the same problem with a couple of mine: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9940.0

Could have saved you some time there if I'd been around.  One of mine is myssing the oscillator too, who did you get yours from?  Could do with another.

However neither of mine work after correcting the alterations (using the IFU-30), so maybe I'll have another look at some point.  I only noticed 2 resistors missing.