Author Topic: Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames  (Read 2072 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:15 AM »
http://pizzangames.com/
Sept 17th 2011 noon-8pm
A few friends and I decided to try our hand at getting a gamer gathering in our small town.  We rented an average sized conference room (about the same size as one of the two rooms VGS used) for old school gaming.  We're charging $3 at the door, and feeding every entrant with two slices of pizza.  Drinks will have to be purchased separately.

We're looking to do some 16-bit comparison features like the Street Fighter games (SNESvGensvTurbob) and the Castlevania series.  Also tournaments: CvS2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Feet of Fury<-- all dreamcast games.  Could probably also throw in some high score challanges similar to what chany did at turboFest.  We're also featuring CCG's and old school RPG's like Cthulhu and D&D and AD&D sessions.  We have three actual vendors from local gaming shops and a special presentation from Damian the Linux guy.  He's going to show off a new linux based tablet.

Most of the games will be supplied by myself (NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Turbo,Gens,Saturn,DC,Xbox,Apple][c,TI99,C64,VB,iMac,) and probably some others, so this will be a good chance for me to test out the displays that we'll be able to use at MGC next year with my stuff.  We have at least 6 TV's at this point, and could have more depending on a few people that are on the edge about bringing extras.

Now I'm not expecting any turbob mates to make the trip as this is probably a small gathering at best(probably less people than VGS), but I am curious if any of the con vets like majors or DHGhunter would have any first year tips or things to avoid/ look for in putting together an event like this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  :)
Of course, after the event expect to see lots of videos on my yt channel!!

Opethian

Re: Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
damn WI is a bit of a ways for me!!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »
I'd make sure you have someone charging people at the Door. VGS doesn't really have that and consistently loses money because of that.

--DragonmasterDan

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:46:20 AM »
I'd make sure you have someone charging people at the Door. VGS doesn't really have that and consistently loses money because of that.

Yea, we've got that covered, it should be easier with only having one defined entrance as well. @VGS I only purchased a 'badge' for the show to make it legal.  I could have very easily spent the whole day at VGS and never purchased one. O_O -

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
* pictures assassin turbob controllers guarding the doors *
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »

Yea, we've got that covered, it should be easier with only having one defined entrance as well. @VGS I only purchased a 'badge' for the show to make it legal.  I could have very easily spent the whole day at VGS and never purchased one. O_O -

as most people have the past few years. I've been donating 20.00 every year to VGS for exactly that reason.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
Sounds awesome. Good luck with it.

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
Dang buddy thats 5+ hours away.  Easy for the BlueBMW's of the world, hard for the likes of me.  Good Luck though it sounds like its gonna be a good time.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
zooming out of the map, it seems that this merill is quite out in da pampa. sorry mate, but way too far away for me ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
1) Make sure you do not take a loss. If you got the door fee taken care of, good. Nobody wants to be the dick and ask ppl to leave but don't set a precedence letting freeloaders roam.

2) Tourneys will run long, will go late and people will be slow in getting up to play. PLAN FOR IT.

3) Allow beer.

In my area, a couple of groups do "game night" at library's...it's a free venue. It's usually tied to a college, but you lose #3.

I think you're very ambitious with the board games, tablet dude and vendors...how big is this pizza joint? You're taking "go big, or go home" to heart. You can also try to tag team with an existing group/con that might be looking for extra events.

CvS2 is the best, props!

PS - put Turbo FIRST on your website...shesh, after NES and Atari...that's just wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:34:23 AM by majors »
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
3) Allow beer.

Yes  :mrgreen:

The place is pretty average sized.  Like I said, it's about the size of one of the rooms we did VGS in.  I'm paying only for the Pizza's.  The owner of the Pizza Joint is letting us use the room for the day.  The guys from Gaming generations are mainly running the tournaments, after talking to them today, they actually will be donating a few prizes as well.

I will also have to put TURBOB first on the site, I can't believe I even put any other console on it... lol, I just noticed also, I completely left off the Sega Saturn!!  For shame!!

TR0N

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
It's not a video game convention without a neo-geo :wink: JK good luck though on getting it going.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mathius

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
Man, what to do...what to do?????
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

TheClash603

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »
As far as I know there is nothing like this in Buffalo, NY.  It seems like the mid-west is the most dedicated group of gamers.  Make this a traveling event?

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
Can't afford that right now :(

Even if I could, I'm not sure I could justify the trip for one afternoon of gaming.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin