Author Topic: Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames  (Read 2076 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
Can't afford that right now :(

Even if I could, I'm not sure I could justify the trip for one afternoon of gaming.
Yes and also by supporting Pizza n' Games you would also be supporting our evil Governor Walker and his Anti Union schemes!

:P nyuk nyuk,

Anyway, the show must go on, 5 more days till the show, I'll post vids and pics for all you to see all the retro greatness that will be going on!  :D

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
here is the link to the facebook page with pics from the event.-

all cleaned up, packed away, and tired as hell.
I'm going to sleep.... oh wait. Go Packers......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

guyjin

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:53 AM »
There is photo evidence in there of child abuse!  :shock: :o

You knowingly allowed children to play N64!  [-X [-(

"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

thrush

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
Neat, that's cool you guys did this!

RR1980

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
nice! looks like you guys had a great turn out and a fun time was had by all! :)

Mathius

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
Sure wish I was there. :( If you end up doing this a again next year I'll hopefully be able to join yous guys.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

SMF

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
looks like fun was had by all, People like you keep the old school tournaments alive.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
Sure wish I was there. :( If you end up doing this a again next year I'll hopefully be able to join yous guys.

It was fun, but also very draining.  I literally had one or two people helping me and my kids did a great job.  I didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.  Hooking up, bringing materials (forgetting some), in charge of collecting entry fees, ordering damn pizzas, managing things not working, switching games and running tournaments.  Still had a good time though, through the second half of the day (4-8pm) we really didn't have too many new people walk in, so I got to play a bunch of games with people there.  It was a pretty good time, and I'm sure we'll do it again.  I need to get a group of about 4 people to run it with me I think next time.  One guy who came and did a computer presentation with iPads and Linux stuff, suggested we kick off the new with next year's in February.  At first I was thinking, eesh, would I really want to go through this again in 5 months, but then after you think about it.  It might be good to get all my stuff out and tested before MGC, so who knows.

All in all, it was a good time.  We had 23 paid attendants, and I came out losing a bit money wise, but the place was cheap and has great pizza, and I got to hang out with some actual retro gamers in the area. 

Speaking of MGC, we need to get talks moving again about what we're all expected to bring for turbob fest.

Mathius

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:07:13 AM »

It was fun, but also very draining.  I literally had one or two people helping me and my kids did a great job.  I didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.  Hooking up, bringing materials (forgetting some), in charge of collecting entry fees, ordering damn pizzas, managing things not working, switching games and running tournaments.  Still had a good time though, through the second half of the day (4-8pm) we really didn't have too many new people walk in, so I got to play a bunch of games with people there.  It was a pretty good time, and I'm sure we'll do it again.  I need to get a group of about 4 people to run it with me I think next time.  One guy who came and did a computer presentation with iPads and Linux stuff, suggested we kick off the new with next year's in February.  At first I was thinking, eesh, would I really want to go through this again in 5 months, but then after you think about it.  It might be good to get all my stuff out and tested before MGC, so who knows.

All in all, it was a good time.  We had 23 paid attendants, and I came out losing a bit money wise, but the place was cheap and has great pizza, and I got to hang out with some actual retro gamers in the area. 

Speaking of MGC, we need to get talks moving again about what we're all expected to bring for turbob fest.

MGC is going to be a test run for me. I'll be better off once I actually get there and do it hands on, then next year I'll have more to go on. What would be real cool is if we got some Ghostbusters like jumpsuits and put Turbo patches on them. :) That would be expensive though lol.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
I didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.
Live'n learn, not like getting married and having kids came with a book or anything, 'eh! I'm glad you came out with a positive outlook...and in a few months you'll forget all the pain, only remember the fun times (<- that's from experiance)

Gotta split the load, son! With MGC we _are_ that split load...just support one console or one room. MGC secures the venue, collects the $$$ and deals with the mess. Since BMW is close to me, we can pool the southeast Turbo resources(um, that being Bryon and I) and drive up(not that I've talked to him about that idea). I've already got stuffs needed for a retro game room already! Have Turbo, will travel.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »
NECRO POSTSX<LS!!!!

Aw heck, thought I'd mention this here to those that care-
Pizza n' Games III is coming up this Saturday as I'm happy to say that we're still continuing the retro themed gaming show in our small central WI area!

I moved the venue across town to a friend's bar/bbq restaurant as he let me use the dining area from 10am-6pm free of charge. 

Last shows:
I have videos from and

Attendance from 2011 was around 20-25 and last year we had around 30-35 range. With us not needing to pay the $85 for a conference room for the older place I think we might actually turn our first profit this year!  LOL.  Still $3 a person with prizes for those that cosplay or come up with creative costumes.  We've got actual sponsors that donated a total of $100 in gift cards from a local hobby shop (The Laserdisc place) and a video game store! Expanded the video game section to 12 consoles (PC Engine and Turbo DUO included!!) and added more Board game and RPG games as I've had some DM/GM guys contact me about running one off adventures!

I've been getting quite a few texts/ PMs on FB this past week from people looking to come and game. Even two guys that wanted to do a podcast from the event!  This one feels like it's got a bit more 'importance' to it in comparison to the first two years, but I guess we'll see once its all done and over with.

I plan on taking more pics and videos from this years show and can share once the show kicks off.

Here's to hoping we hit 50 peeps this year!!

roflmao

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 04:51:27 AM »
Sounds awesome!  Good luck to you.  I won't be able to make the trek this year (saving my outing for Octurbofest), but I will be going to a gaming gathering on Saturday and bringing some obey, so you can consider it a sister-convention. 

Or maybe a long-lost cousin convention.  Or maybe not even that.  I think there's only about a dozen people going. :D

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:15 AM »
Well, two days removed from the big event and I've got to say, this was a great experience.  Over 50 people showed up, we ran 11 consoles ranging from Atari to Dreamcast and added a crapload of board games (Which actually was VERY popular this year!) 

Here's a for those that want to see some footage along with pictures I managed to take.

Running the #s.  I had $40 cash in the register to begin the show, had roughly 53 in attendance I believe most paid (A few may have snuck by...) and bought myself and my wife dinner + a few drinks throughout the day for $42.  We had $160.00 at the end of the con -$40 for change in the register and another $42 for our food/drinks and we made $80 profit on the day!  I'm putting $120 of this in the pot for next year's and we'll see if we can keep this ball rolling.

:)  Couldn't be more happy!!

Here's to us keeping our momentum going forward to PnG IV in 2014!   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: :clap:

bob

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
Dont you have forumites to work on?

J/K...its awesome you organized this and have realized growth year over year. 
Now take this show on the road!  Create a mobile gaming unit and come to new england.
 :lol:

Mathius

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
Nice going, Josh! Maybe one year I can come up and help.