Author Topic: New batch of fake Sapphires?  (Read 671 times)

Black Tiger

New batch of fake Sapphires?
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
Right now there are 2 sealed copies of Sapphire for sale on eBay from sellers outside of Japan and only one copy that isn't sealed. One of the sealed copy sellers happens to have a sealed copy of the bootleg for comparison.

The last time I checked eBay for copies of Sapphire, there was also a non-care4data looking sealed copy. It's unusual that sealed copies have started showing up from non-Japanese sellers at this point in time.

I hope that my worst fears that my counterfeit guide would be used to make closer to perfect bootlegs hasn't come true. :|
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Mathius

Re: New batch of fake Sapphires?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
...or that BlueBMW's kind givaways haven't fallen into the wrong hands directly or indirectly.

^^...I seem to type that line a lot concerning the Sapphire boot. :(
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

henrycsc

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
...or that BlueBMW's kind givaways haven't fallen into the wrong hands directly or indirectly.

^^...I seem to type that line a lot concerning the Sapphire boot. :(

Doubt that... Beamer's copies were loose.  Also, most were the discolored version (though you obviously can't see the disc on the sealed copies).  Beamer could probably also verify if he sent copies to the cities that the sellers are in. 

I agree with Black Tiger.  The images of the sealed copies look closer to the real Sapphire than the Care4Data copies do.  I've posted comparison pics in the past as well, but I try to just give portions of the image to keep would-be bootlegers from doing this very thing.

They could be legit copies (and sellers trying to get into the market while prices are high).  2 legit sealed copies at once is highly unlikely though.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

Mathius

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »
As long as you have a disc it wouldn't be too hard for someone to fashion a manual, case, and seal it in PC Engine like shrink wrap if they were so motivated. Of course, this is just Mathius' paranoid mind speculating. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
Real or not, anyone who blows that much money on an auction with pictures that shitty is an idiot. Luckily there are no idiots on eBay. :)

Seriously, its 2011. Why are there still shitty eBay pics? I have cel phones laying around that I'm not even using anymore than take better pictures than some of this stuff. Hint: add light!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
With such "shitty" pics, you can only make out all the ways that those sealed copies differ from the original Care4data copies. But all of the sealed copies I've seen lately and the one that Tatsujin posted all look much more vibrant than my original copy and every pic I've ever seen online of legit copies. So much so, that my initial reaction to the couple on eBay was that they were fake, until I saw that the other giveaway traits of the care4data weren't there. Some of the coloring looks off in unique ways and all of the recent sealed copies I've seen look similar in this respect.

Combined with the fact that not only are sealed copies popping up more frequently, but that an eBay seller would let a sealed copy go for as little as $300 is very suspicious. That listings is already gone btw. :P If I had money to burn I would've bought that one just to check and am sure that I could tell in person if it's fake or not. No one will ever be able to make a bootleg look as good in print quality as the original.

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
Call me blind but I didn't see any difference in the comparison pic.

Hey, is Sapphire here the only game that's ever bootlegged, or are there others I should beware of?

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
Call me blind but I didn't see any difference in the comparison pic.

Hey, is Sapphire here the only game that's ever bootlegged, or are there others I should beware of?

You have to know what to look for.

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
I also probably need a better monitor (not to mention glasses).  I still can't tell if this is real or fake.

Not that I'd buy a $400 game either way, but I still don't know whether or not Sapphire here is the only game to ever be bootlegged.

BlueBMW

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
I also probably need a better monitor (not to mention glasses).  I still can't tell if this is real or fake.

Not that I'd buy a $400 game either way, but I still don't know whether or not Sapphire here is the only game to ever be bootlegged.

If its not the only one that's been bootlegged, its certainly the most well known bootleg.  You yourself have one :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
i have a boot of SF2 turbo on 3DO

roflmao

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
I think I've got a couple GBA boots.  They no longer save games and from what I've read, that usually means it's a boot.  I didn't know that's what I was getting when I bought them off ebay ages ago, but they were probably dirt cheap, so I guess I got what I paid for.

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

If its not the only one that's been bootlegged, its certainly the most well known bootleg.  You yourself have one :D

As far as CD games going, sapphire is so far the only well known bootleg. But one fellow member in here recently had to make the bad experience with encountering an akiyamajin bootleg.

As for the hueys, there are several well known booties around like those from KING.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

thesteve

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
wow, i hadnt heard of bootleg hueys