Author Topic: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?  (Read 2936 times)

MotherGunner

Re: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:32 AM »
Doesn't really count, but:   Mortal Kombat.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
I was told by Eun Lopez(the secretary at TTI during it's demise) that Macross 2036 was basically done(though, I know not what the final name of the game was, maybe kept it as Macross, can't imagine them getting the Robotech name!), but there were a few glitches near the end, or atleast, that's what my memory tells me.  It'd be nice to find that "almost" finished version someday, if it really exists.

SMF

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
Doesn't really count, but:   Mortal Kombat.

Funny story about MK for TG, I read that it was offered to NEC first as a exclusive but they turned it down. Wonder how many people would have picked a TG16 up if it was only available on the TG16?
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »
Funny story about MK for TG, I read that it was offered to NEC first as a exclusive but they turned it down. Wonder how many people would have picked a TG16 up if it was only available on the TG16?

While it was a big arcade game, it really took off with its home release in the US. It certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near as possible had it been console exclusive.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Dan, did you ever see Riftwar Saga an any CES's?  That's one game I'd love to have more info on.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
Dan, did you ever see Riftwar Saga an any CES's?  That's one game I'd love to have more info on.

I don't recall seeing it. Those screens BTW are from a video of the CES's I found. However, I did attend both the 1992 and 1993 Summer CES when TTI was in attendance. I remember a baseball game (not TV sports baseball) that never got released being shown off and demo'ed on a core grafx. I also asked a TTI rep about Street Fighter II Champion Edition, to which they said "we're working on it".
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
Bummer, I can't even find any info on "Kid's Source", who were they, where were they based, where are they now? :D

henrycsc

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
Was dracula X announced or just not thought about?

It was considered to the point that it is mentioned (as a response to a letter) in the last issue of Duo World.  TTI certainly would have considered it - as a pipe dream maybe, but there is no way that it wouldn't have been at least talked about.

http://archives.tg-16.com/archive-four/DW-03-04.jpg

As well, add Street Fighter 2 since TTI did at least make an attempt to get licensing for the game.  That one certainly would have turned heads here in the US.

Dan, this is the first time that I have seen the screenshots of the CES demos.  It brings tears to my eyes.  So close, so close.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
WTF is Bonk RPG? Was any actual work done on this or is the leading result in this poll based on half a sentence some dude from TTI might have said once?

I voted for CF3 since it a) actually exists b) is decent c) is very hard to play for most Americans in Japanese and d) was advertised on a sign in a town in CF2.

If CF3 was actually released in the US people would still be fawning over it. Shit, a lot of people absolutely worship CF 2 and that game is basically, cut scenes aside, crap on a cracker.

I wanted 2036 really bad back in the day, but now that it can be had for $30 its not that big of a deal for me. The voice acting hasn't been replaced with horrifically bad lines read by janitors and/or people who have had their heads ran over by a bus (see: Final Zone 2) but IMO that's a good thing.

BTW, Macross: Eternal Love Song was also announced but isn't on this poll. That one actually would benefit from translation.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
I've seen two completely different sets of pics for Bonk's Quest.  Actually, there were 2 EGM's one right after the other that each had a Bonk game.  The first one was showing off what they called Bonk 3: Panic Cyborg, the next EGM had what they called at the time Bonk 4: The Role Playing Game, or something to that effect.  It has completely different pics of a Bonk RPG then what you'll normally find on the net.  Frankly, it doesn't look that great compared to the pics that are easier to find.  I recall being kinda bummed BITD, because the other set of pics appeared in mags before these crummy looking ones.

I still have that EGM somewhere, I don't think I ever took any pics of it, eventually if someone can't find the other set, I'll start digging around for that mag & take pics of them.  Oh & EGM even included Bonk 4 in some kind of contest where you could win it....obviously no one won it :roll:

Found pics:

http://turbo.mindrec.com/unreleased/bonk4/

Most of the pics there are ones that I believe are the real deal, however, the overworld shot in the upper right& the 2 at the very bottom I believe are fake, & were actually pictures of from a Genjin comic that ended up inspiring them to make a real RPG for him!

Oh, & I have a flyer from TTI advertising it as Bonk's Quest.  I believe that was the last name they had for it, before it got canned.

Here's some more pics, once again, not sure what's fake & what's real
http://bonkzonk.com/game.ktn?Game=rpcg

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/Images-Artwork/ART-RPC_Genjin_Preview.JPG
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:00:44 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
Dang, that would have been cool, probably very Momotaro-esque, most likely.

geise

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2011, 02:17:45 AM »
Hmmm...RPG Genjin.  I bet Thibaut has that.

Seriously though, that game looked like it would have been really good.  It's a shame it never happened like quite a few others on the pc-engine/turbo.  :cry:
Thanks for sharing the pics ParanoiaDragon.  I vaguely remember seeing these long ago.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:21 AM »
WTF is Bonk RPG? Was any actual work done on this or is the leading result in this poll based on half a sentence some dude from TTI might have said once?

Yeah, it was definitely a real project.

I voted for CF3 since it a) actually exists b) is decent c) is very hard to play for most Americans in Japanese and d) was advertised on a sign in a town in CF2.

If CF3 was actually released in the US people would still be fawning over it. Shit, a lot of people absolutely worship CF 2 and that game is basically, cut scenes aside, crap on a cracker.

Some work was done on the US translation by Working Designs, they had it on display at both the 1993 Winter and Summer CES.

Also, CF2 had a decent story, good characterizations and nice music and atmosphere. It was better than a lot of 16-bit RPGs.
--DragonmasterDan

Dyna138

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
I would have loved to see a Bonk RPG for 2 reasons, I love Bonk and there aren't nearly enough Turbo RPGs translated in the west. Besides that CF3 would have been sweet for the same reason, although I'm not a big big fan of CF2. I think I got mid way through CF2 and kind of put it down, I have to give it another try.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily give up 100% on CF3, Victor never has confirmed nor denied how much work was done on the game.  I've never been able to get a straight answer out of him.  Unfortunately, it's a Telenet product, so it might fall under Sunsoft, which, at first was looking like it was going to be doing wonderful things with it's properties.....but they seemed to have disapeared, & I have no idea what Victor is up to lately, other then some PS1 rereleases on PSN.