Author Topic: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?  (Read 2945 times)

TheClash603

Re: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
Bonk RPG, I never knew this was even rumored until now.  Did the game ever get off the ground, or was it just in idea phase when it bit the dust?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
I don't know about Air Zonk 3D, but there was Super Star Soldier 3D.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MotherGunner

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
TV Sports Baseball!  (not even on the list)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

vestcoat

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
Any chance of updating the list?  It's missing a lot of games.

My vote is for Dangerous Journeys.  I would have loved the novelty of seeing Bonk RPG, but it probably would have been another crappy, linear, mascot JRPG like that Mario RPG on SNES.

Not getting Battle Load Runner barely bothers me at all as the import version is readily available and fully playable.

allyourblood

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
I chose Bonk RPG for two reasons. One, it seems like it would've been fun, no matter how it turned out. Two, I'm not ultra-familiar with the lineage of the other titles mentioned.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »

My vote is for Dangerous Journeys.  I would have loved the novelty of seeing Bonk RPG, but it probably would have been another crappy, linear, mascot JRPG like that Mario RPG on SNES.

Not getting Battle Load Runner barely bothers me at all as the import version is readily available and fully playable.

Send me some names and I'll add to the list.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
Bonk RPG, I never knew this was even rumored until now.  Did the game ever get off the ground, or was it just in idea phase when it bit the dust?

There's screenshots floating around.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/07/bonk-jenjin-rpg-pc-engine-cancelled/
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

Before I read the list, this was going to be my pick.  Then I saw this wasn't on there, and the mystery of Bonk RPG caught my eye.  This is definitely one of the more infamous vaporware titles on the system.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »

Before I read the list, this was going to be my pick.  Then I saw this wasn't on there, and the mystery of Bonk RPG caught my eye.  This is definitely one of the more infamous vaporware titles on the system.

Added
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »

There's screenshots floating around.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/07/bonk-jenjin-rpg-pc-engine-cancelled/

It was a hard choice for me between CF3 & Manji Maru.  I chose CF3 because I already had an established love for characters, that return in CF3.  Note that CF1 was also planned as kind of a budget title...but obviously got nowhere in production. 

As for Bonk's Quest(TTI's name), most of the pictures floating around on the net, are fakes.  Red made them originally as a joke, but then interest started buzzing(similar to how Bonk got started in the first place), & so they started developing it.  There are official pictures in an oldl EGM I have, probably Steve/Esteban has it already scanned.  The real pictures of the game.....don't look near as good as the old mockup/joke pictures unfortunately  Ofcoarse, even all of this could be wrong.  There's no real way to know for sure without going to the source, the people who actually worked on the game!

henrycsc

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »
For me, all the unreleased games were equally disappointing.  I would have to say Dangerous Journeys just because TTI was finally starting to get some good US only titles out for the system.  Ports of any of the great PCE titles would have been welcome as well.  I would have probably ditched Bonk 3 SCD for Star Parodier/Spriggan/Drac X = pipe dream.

I remember back in the day reading about upcoming games and thinking the TTI (though they had their act together better than NEC-USA) was still missing the mark on what they snagged from the Japanese selection.

I had a discussion long ago about the upcoming Terraforming game.  My friend and I both agreed that what was probably recommended to TTI was Spriggan Mk. 2 Re Terraform Project.  Somehow wires got crossed and we ended up with Terraforming.  Not a bad game, but probably not the best choice.

TV Sports Baseball may have actually made it very far into development considering a former NEC employee had an EPROM of it.  I wasn't sure if he was ever able to get it working.  If you're out there malicedoom - any updates?
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

RR1980

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
how about the Batman platformer that was supposed to come out instead of the Batman game that did ended up coming out for the pce?

hoobs88

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »

Dangerous Journeys is the only game that I knew of that was slated to be released but never was. I have the PCE version of Battle Lode Runner so I'm in the same boat as Vestcoat with regards to that. This Bonk IV talk has me intrigued, I'll have to look around for some screenshots (whether they are legit or not).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

spenoza

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 06:18:55 AM »
Does anyone know what actually happened to Dangerous Journeys? How far along in dev was it?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

vestcoat

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 06:46:20 AM »
Send me some names and I'll add to the list.

The following games were announced in the 1993 Club Duo Catalog (in addition to King of the Monster 2, Macross 2036, and Battle Load Runner, whic you already got):
Macross 2036SLG
Wizardry 1 & 2
World Heroes
(WD)

People on this forum have said the KotM2 and WH were finished and playable.

The Official TG-16 Game Encyclopedia previews an alternate version of Camp California.  Some guy has appeared here twice over the years flaunting pictures of it.

Let's not forget Strider for the Supergrafx.

Xymati and PC Gunjin should also be included - there were announced by an established developer and screenshots were released.  Xymati has been switched to the xboxlive and nothing has been heard regarding PC Gunjin for five years.

I don't know anything about them, but, for the sake of completeness, other folks have mentioned a PCE Batman platformer and a U.S. release of Cosmic Fantasy 1.

Finally, while they can hardly be considered games, The Official TG-16 Game Encyclopedia also lists the following educational "Discis Books":
The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Benjamin Bunny
Scary Poems for Rotten Kids
Cinderella
A Long Hard Day on the Ranch
Thomas' Snowsuit