Author Topic: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?  (Read 2954 times)

runinruder

Re: Which announced but unreleased Turbo game are you most disappointed about?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »
Does anyone know what actually happened to Dangerous Journeys? How far along in dev was it?

Read Dave Marsh's answer to the first question posed to him in this interview:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/03/lords-of-turbo-pantheon-icoms-dave.html
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
I would have to say Neutopia III. I was so disappointed that I made my own sequel in its stead.

vestcoat

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »
Does anyone know what actually happened to Dangerous Journeys? How far along in dev was it?

Read Dave Marsh's answer to the first question posed to him in this interview:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/03/lords-of-turbo-pantheon-icoms-dave.html

I hadn't read that interview before.  It seems Mr. Marsh convinced NEC to abandon Dangerous Journeys and then TTI picked it up again a few years later.

ICOM was a Chicago-based company and Dave Marsh describes NEC as "just down the road" in his interview.  He also says the Addams Family license was still on the table.  Thus, the conference room they were sitting around was probably somewhere in Illinois and the meeting was prior to the Addams Family release in 1991.

TTI later announced that Dangerous Journeys would be released in April 93:  http://www.video-game-ephemera.com/image/014_a.jpg

(main page here:  http://www.video-game-ephemera.com/014.htm and PCEFX discussion here http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9768.0 )

When Dave Marsh talked to NEC about Dangerous Journeys it 1989-90 the country was at the height of its Dungeons and Dragons = Satanism hysteria.  The women who's son committed suicide had just published her book "The Devil's Web: Who Is Stalking Your Children For Satan?" and TSR had recently changed it's policy and stopped referencing devils and demons in its products.  Gary Gygax was by no means a Satanist and TTI was probably smart enough to realize the fact a couple years later, restarting the project.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:27:43 AM by vestcoat »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
DEVILS AND DUNGEONS.

YEAH.

GET OUT THE d666
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
that mindrec run n' gun game should be added.  I was looking forward to that.

Mathius

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
America needed Far East of Eden 2! Now look where we're at! :-$ [-(
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
For me, all the unreleased games were equally disappointing.  I would have to say Dangerous Journeys just because TTI was finally starting to get some good US only titles out for the system.  Ports of any of the great PCE titles would have been welcome as well.  I would have probably ditched Bonk 3 SCD for Star Parodier/Spriggan/Drac X = pipe dream.

I remember back in the day reading about upcoming games and thinking the TTI (though they had their act together better than NEC-USA) was still missing the mark on what they snagged from the Japanese selection.

I had a discussion long ago about the upcoming Terraforming game.  My friend and I both agreed that what was probably recommended to TTI was Spriggan Mk. 2 Re Terraform Project.  Somehow wires got crossed and we ended up with Terraforming.  Not a bad game, but probably not the best choice.

TV Sports Baseball may have actually made it very far into development considering a former NEC employee had an EPROM of it.  I wasn't sure if he was ever able to get it working.  If you're out there malicedoom - any updates?

I don't think there's any way it could've been Spriggan 2, there's lot's of dialogue in it, which means lot's of translating, even if they left out the voices.  Terraforming was probably either cheap, or free for them to bring over.  IIRC, Bonk 3 CD was given to them as a freebie.  Baseball had to be done, it just had to.  I've mentioned it before, but Game Dude even had a listing for a used copy of it at some time.  But, the guy I asked didn't know anything about it.  Might mean that some kind of eprom was sold to them at some time??

And I forgot to mention it, but, that Action RPG Adventure looking game, that was supposed to be 2 player, called Riftwar Saga.....I've always had a jones for that game.  Might've been terrible for all I know, but it looked(from the 2 screenshots I've ever seen) & sounded cool.

As for that alternate version of Camp California that someone talked about, I hope you don't mean me?  An old friend of mine, who's dad worked for Icom(& did the gfx for Ghost Manor, not to mention played the hero in that game!) had an old early demo of Camp California.  I'm sure I've mentioned that, but, all I know about it, is that it was incomplete, & only had the title screen music, I remember hearing it over the phone, but never saw it in person.

And as for World Heroes, & King of the Monsters 2, I swear that one of the Shirley Bros. told me they were done, but wouldn't release them because they were afraid TTI was going to release WH2 with the Arcade Card, but then ofcoarse didn't release KotM 2 because it REQUIRED the Arcade card, irony at it's best #-o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:59:14 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

MotherGunner

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
how about the Batman platformer that was supposed to come out instead of the Batman game that did ended up coming out for the pce?

What?  I would take the PCE version of batman any day over the platformer if given a choice, though they were both awesome!  =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

RR1980

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
yeah the pce Batman isn't bad by any means it's just that there's already another game out there that's more or less the same on the pce (Doraemon) and on the TG16 (Cratermaze) so it would have been cooler if it had been a platformer especially being the only superhero game in the whole PCE/TG16 libaray

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »

And as for World Heroes, & King of the Monsters 2, I swear that one of the Shirley Bros. told me they were done, but wouldn't release them because they were afraid TTI was going to release WH2 with the Arcade Card, but then ofcoarse didn't release KotM 2 because it REQUIRED the Arcade card, irony at it's best #-o

My understanding is that they were both finished.
--DragonmasterDan

KingDrool

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 07:13:01 AM »
This thread makes me sad. I remember seeing screenshots of a few of these games in EGM and other magazines and being really excited. I voted Bonk RPG, but a couple of the games I was dying for were Far East of Eden and Cosmic Fantasy 3. Macross 2036 was another one that caught my eye back in the day. The Duo had so much potential, but they shut it down too quickly. :cry:
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

MotherGunner

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:37 AM »
Agreed.  What I would love to see is a reprint of FEOE Manji Maru translated to English!
-MG

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »
Agreed.  What I would love to see is a reprint of FEOE Manji Maru translated to English!

Tough game to localize, I know the PS2/GC remake got looked at by a US publisher but since so little was changed from the original it was passed on.
--DragonmasterDan

MotherGunner

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 07:38:25 AM »
Damn shame.
-MG

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »
Damn shame.

Also, Far East of Eden III Namida was announced by Konami for a US release, it got canned. And someone licensed Tengai Makyou: Ziria for Xbox 360 (yes they remade it for the 360) but it was not released.
--DragonmasterDan