Author Topic: New member Introduction Thread  (Read 2301 times)

Senshi

New member Introduction Thread
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
Most internet forums I visit have these and I think its a good thing. Most new members that find there way here post an introduction post but place it wherever because "they didn't see where they should do this". Can we have an official "introduce yourself" section? or even a pinned topic? something so it doesn't get put in random places.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:16:29 PM by nat »
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

SMF

Re: New member introduction section
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
Yes this would have been good to have when I joined a year ago, Infact my 1 year just passed a few weeks ago.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

UglyJoe

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
I searched for a while for such a thread before making my own intro thread, just to make sure I wouldn't look like a doofus for missing it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »
The intro thread for real men is right here.  :twisted:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Shrapnoid

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »
Okay. Looks like I finally found the Intro thread or one of them at least.

Okay. So, I have a Turbo Duo, 58 HuCards, 7 Turbo-CD's, 9 Super CD's a few other odds and ends and I've been collecting on and off since 1993.
I started in late 1990 to early 1991 with a brand new TG16 that I payed about $160.00 for.
I chose it because it seemed to be more bang for the buck over Sega's entry into the 16-bit market.
I settled on Vigilante for my free mail order game because I loved playing it at the arcade.

I only succeeded in collecting a few more games for that console before selling it off.
I missed it shortly afterward and as soon as the Duo came out, I worked my butt, off to save up for it.
I still have the box and instructions as well as some of the boxes to my games.

After being dormant for a while, I've decided to get my old Duo out and start collecting again so, here I am.

If anyone still wants to give me the noob test then, have at it. I'm game.

-Shrap

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:09:19 AM »
Welcome aboard, sharp.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Welcome Shrapnoid!  Nice collection you got there.  Need more games!!!  :) How is your Duo working?  Most of em have issues at this point, that can be repaired right here by people in this forum. 

Shrapnoid

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks. It's good to be here. I can't believe how big this place has gotten. I'm really impressed.
Yes. I do indeed need more games and I wont be satisfied until I have every single U.S. game in mint to near mint condition w/manuals, sleeves, perfect labels, boxes and all.

I'm thinking about even picking up additional system variants and some PC-Engine games as well.

I miss it all. I miss it all so, much. I even miss walking up and down the aisles, impatiently, trying to side which game or games to get on a limited amount of cash!

Such a bitter-sweet feeling.

EDIT: Ooops! Almost forgot. My Duo is doing pretty good for it's age and I baby her a lot more than any other console I have.
Early on, a few days after I picker her up, I did a really, really, REALLY stupid thing.
I set it on the carpet when I played it and kept wandering why the CD games would quit spinning.
I also stored it under the slot of a desk or something, directly on the carpet one day before going to work in order to hide it from some destructive nephews that were supposed to visit that day.

It wasn't until a lady at T.T.I. warned me about the whole static electricity erasing RAM story that I began to keep every piece of hardware and software under my roof away from carpet, clothing and etc.

Still there was some kind of damage done. The CD-ROM's accessing became slower and sometimes it would even get stuck when switching between tracks at which point I had to tap the console with my finger to get it going again.

Since I've got it hooked back up, the only problems I've had are with A/V out, causing the sound to fade in and out but, I figure that that could just be dust on the input jack and plugs.

The only other problem with it is that it refuses to play replicated CD's because the last time I had it out, I tried cleaning the lens with a soft cloth because my lens-cleaning CD was warn out. I guess I must've scratched it a little without knowing it.
Depending on where you stand when it comes to replication, I guess some may see that as a good thing since it still plays normal games just fine.

It may not be tiptop but, it's my baby.        
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:29:05 AM by Shrapnoid »

roflmao

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Welcome Shrapniod!  The issues you have with the Duo are pretty common.  There are folks here that can mod your console to add composite plugs to bypass the original cable to fix the intermittent sound issue.  Also, folks here can replace the lens, but I have a PC Engine Duo with a new lens and it STILL doesn't like to read burned CDs.  (It reads real discs fine though) That's not a deal breaker to me though. :)

Good luck getting everything complete.  Be prepared to pay out the wazoo!  Maybe you'll come to your senses, get your Duo region modded and buy PC Engine versions of games that aren't text heavy (often for a fraction of the cost), like us real fans.  :P

esteban

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »

Welcome, comrade.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:30:16 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Shrapnoid

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:32:59 AM »
Thanks again for the welcome.

Mod my Duo? I-I just can't do that. I know it's an inanimate object, just a material item but, I just can't bear the thought of customizing it.
It's a sentimental thing. I've been through a lot with that console. I know it's not right to *love* a machine but, I do have a certain measure of love for that one in particular above all of my consoles.
It's the queen of my collection and the others are just...uh...um...plain ol' harem girls by comparison if that makes any sense.

I'm glad that you brought up the composite video mod though because I had an idea for that recently after reading about others doing A/V upgrades.

I don't truly expect it to work but, I like to experiment and try to find ways to make mods work as cheap as possible so, I started doing a few searches on different types of RCA-based plugs and adapters and I found out that there is a composite adapter plug with a 3.5mm plug on the other end and that lead me to wondering...

Here's a pic to show the idea. Maybe someone who understands this stuff better than me can tell me whether or not this will work and save me a trip to RadioShack.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:35:52 AM by Shrapnoid »

Senshi

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:59:14 AM »
Welcome Shrapnoid. Perhaps this thread will just serve as the intro thread...lol.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Ash

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
WELCOME Shrapnoid :)

Shrapnoid

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
Yes. I guess so. I should have took the time to find the part of the forum where that sort of thing is discussed and posted the pic there.
I know better. I guess I was just being lazy.
Sorry about that.   

DemonDaze

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
Hey everyone! I just joined and I love it already. I work with MotherGunner and he told me about this site, so I decided to sign up. It's good to be a part of a TG-16 community. Such an underrated console.
Porkchop Sandwiches!