Author Topic: TENNOKOE BANK(PC Engine) question  (Read 3616 times)

BigusSchmuck

TENNOKOE BANK(PC Engine) question
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
Does this thing work on a duo-r or is it just for the pc engine core with the cdrom attachment? If so, how does it work? Does the console just detect it when you press select to see your saves?

nat

Re: TENNOKOE BANK(PC Engine) question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
It'll work on any PC Engine-based console, including the U.S. variants (provided you use a region adapter). Duo, SuperGrafx (with Booster or CD), TurboGrafx (with Booster or CD), it matters not.

It's basically what the name implies- a cartridge with multiple "banks" to store excess save files. When you boot up with the cart in the slot, you get a special menu where you can look at either the contents of your console's BRAM, or the contents of any of the 4 banks on the cart.

You can also copy the contents of the BRAM to any bank, or vice versa. Unfortunately, copying single files isn't allowed-- it's all or nothing.

You can't save directly to the cart from within any game; it's simply a standalone utility for bank swapping when you're dealing with lots of (or large) save files.

ccovell

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
Don't get the Ten no Koe (attaches to the rear of the PC-Engine core unit) and Ten no Koe Bank (HuCard that backs up 4 Ten no Koes worth of data) confused.  I have no experience with the former, so I can't help you there.

Mishran

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »
Don't get the Ten no Koe (attaches to the rear of the PC-Engine core unit) and Ten no Koe Bank (HuCard that backs up 4 Ten no Koes worth of data) confused.  I have no experience with the former, so I can't help you there.

I have both those and while I get the Bank and its use completely, I still can't figure the Tennokoe 2. It has a little light on it that I assume was meant to warn you of low battery life in the unit or some such, but it lights up when attached to a system as well. Anyone have a better understanding of the device that can shed a little light on it?

Ji-L87

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
I'm going to borrow this thread for a bit ; )

While on the subject of saving, how big is the internal memory of a Duo? And are there any other external save options besides Ten no Koe and it's variations? I could've sworn I saw something you plugged into the controller port online somewhere...

/thread hi-jack
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 05:22:53 AM »
While on the subject of saving, how big is the internal memory of a Duo? And are there any other external save options besides Ten no Koe and it's variations? I could've sworn I saw something you plugged into the controller port online somewhere...

It can't be much, I know one save of Wizardry takes up the entire internal memory of the Duo hence the reason why I wanted to know more about the tennoke bank. I got one on its way from my brother in Japan (got it for 5 bucks woo hoo!) so its kind of a shame you can't save to it directly, I was hoping for something more on the lines on the early playstation memory cards.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »
I'm going to borrow this thread for a bit ; )

/thread hi-jack

The thing that goes into the controller port is the Memory Base 128 (or Koei's licensed version of the 128 called Save-kun). It only works with games that support it.

Ji-L87

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »
Quote from: BigusSchmuck
It can't be much, I know one save of Wizardry takes up the entire internal memory of the Duo...

Ouch. Is it common for games to have big save files like that? It looks like I might need to look into getting some sort of Ten no Koe/similar solution, if that's the case... :p

Quote from: SignOfZeta
The thing that goes into the controller port is the Memory Base 128 (or Koei's licensed version of the 128 called Save-kun). It only works with games that support it.

I see. Since I don't see the name thrown around as much as Ten no Koe, is it safe to assume the number of game that supports is isn't that big?
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
For the DUO systems you could try using something like the Memory Base 128 or Save-Kun:

nat

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I think the quantity of games that support either is fairly small. I have almost 400 Turbo/PCE games, and I'm not sure I own a single one that supports either.

Anyone's best bet looking to manage saves is to just buy a Ten no Koe Bank cart.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
Quote from: BigusSchmuck
It can't be much, I know one save of Wizardry takes up the entire internal memory of the Duo...

Ouch. Is it common for games to have big save files like that? It looks like I might need to look into getting some sort of Ten no Koe/similar solution, if that's the case... :p

Honestly, no. I don't have any games that hog the entire system (I think). Most stuff, the shooters, the platforms, the simple RPGs, you can store at least a dozen things. Some of the strategy and "real" RPGs hog more, but really I don't care if my save disappears on a game I haven't played in three years. If I ever play it again it will be from the beginning.

rag-time4

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
One curiosity i have with the mb-128 is that popful mail has an interface that allows the user to move popful saves back and forth between the system memory an the 128. I need to fiddle around with the KOEI games to see if any of them have an interface like popful mail that might allow any saves to be moved back and forth...

termis

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
...are there any other external save options besides Ten no Koe and it's variations?

There's the nanami bank - a software which I use to permanently move over & back up TG/PCE data to my computer, and also transfer save files between actual hardware and emulators.  It's not for a novice user, though.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.msg94316#msg94316

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
...are there any other external save options besides Ten no Koe and it's variations?

There's the nanami bank - a software which I use to permanently move over & back up TG/PCE data to my computer, and also transfer save files between actual hardware and emulators.  It's not for a novice user, though.

I still have never figured out how to get a save file onto an emulator. :P I figured out how to get the code off of the hardware (I photographed it all), but when trying to load it within Magic Engine, there didn't seem to be a way to enter in the code. :-k
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:08:27 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
I still have never figured out how to get a save file onto an emulator. :P I figured out how to get the code off of the hardware (I photographed it all), but when trying to load it within Magic Engine, there didn't seem to be a way to enter in the code. :-k

You enter the code on your PC by executing pcetohd.exe (You do not enter the code within the nanami bank software itself), then the actual game save file is replicated on your PC.  Then when you feel like restoring those save file(s) to the actual hardware, you link these save files onto an iso, then either burn onto actual CD-R (for actual hardware) or mount the image using Daemon tools (for emulators).  You can then "restore" these save files to actual hardware/emulator with nanami bank's restore option.

I use ootake, but I did do a Magic Engine -> Actual Hardware transfer once (so I know vice-versa can also be done), but it's definitely a bit of a hassle -- well, this whole procedure is, but there's no other foolproof way of backing up your save data to a computer as far as I know.

What I do recall having to do for Magic Engine was having to fiddle around some setting so that each game would have its own "save bank", as opposed to all games sharing one save bank. 

Once that's done, you start up nanami bank, then that will create its own save bank save data as well (that is, magic engine thinks that the nanami bank CD-R is another game, so it will dedicate another entire save bank just for nanami bank).  At this point, you "restore" the individual game save file to the nanami bank "save bank".   Now, you just rename the nanami bank save bank data to the game's save bank data, at which point you'll be able to boot up the game.

Going the other way (emulator -> actual hardware) is slightly less of a hassle, as you can simply crop out the actual save game portion of the data using a hex editor on the save bank data, at which point you can simply rename this file for your backup, or get ready to restore tbat file using hdtopce.exe app.