Author Topic: MY Custom PCE GT  (Read 1551 times)

HercTNT

MY Custom PCE GT
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
I have wanted a PCE GT/Turbo express since the day they came out. Two years ago I gave a TG16 to my best friend to introduce him to the Turbo for the first time. Until then he had never heard of one.  This year he bought me a PC-engine GT with the help of my wife as an early christmas present.  I sent it out to Steve for repair and a new screen and got it back today.  First I want to thank the hard work and dedication of this community to even make such mods and repairs possible. I have been to alot of forums and this one has one of the closest communities I have ever seen.  Also, huge thanks to Steve for taking on the project and putting up with me for the last month.  He did a fantastic job and I highly encourage anyone wanting similar work done, look him up.  Please forgive the picture, my lack of photoshopping skills does not do the picture justice at all. Turns out, my batteries suck as well. After reading another thread in this forum on just such a matter, i'm gonna purchase some eneloop rechargables to fix the problem.  I dont have the funds yet. When I do get the batteries I will put up a picture of it running. 

Forgive the blatant butt snorkling, but i'm a huge turbo fan and this site and its forum goers has made my dreams possible. Thank you all again, and Huge thanks to Steve!!!

roflmao

Re: MY Custom PCE GT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
This community rocks.  Thanks for sharing your story, HercTNT. 

...Now I want to mod my Express with a new screen. :D

bartre

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »
I now want to GET an express/GT.
looks sick, how's the screen?

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
Nice one. and how does it look in action? :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
his looks slightly better than mine (better color faster sync)

HercTNT

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
The screen in my opinion is fantastic.  Compared to the original its completely night and day difference. There is no lag what-so-ever. There is no ghosting. The colors are sharp and the text in games has gone from impossible to read for some, to crystal clear.  The Picture does not do it justice. Steve cut the plastic extremely well and when the GT's in your hand it looks natural. The sound is loud and clean. I guess thats what a good recap will do for you. I was just as impressed with the sound as i was with the screen. I tested Coryoon, Air Zonk, Twinbee, and columns (using my PCE PRO flash cart from tototek). And now for the most impressive reviewer of all..........my wife!! Yes folks, she has never seen a Pc-engine GT in her life. When I turned it on and started playing Air Zonk, she removed it from my hands for the next half an hour!! And that about says it all :)

henrycsc

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
Wow! very impressive.  Steve, I didn't know you were already doing these mods.  Very nice.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

csgx1

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:45 AM »
Very nice.  That's awesome xmas gift. You have a pretty cool wife.  Unfortunately, my wife doesn't even know(or care to know) what the PC engine is.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:01:21 AM »
Dang good friend and a great wife.  Looks nice and clean - any chance of some up close pics of it in action?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:31:23 AM »
im not officially doing the mods, and havent quite nailed down the final encoder design, and i havent stocked any screens.
but that doesnt mean i cant do a few prototypes.

spenoza

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
Has anyone explored putting a 320x240 screen in the GT/Express?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
heh the screen i used claims 640 480

spenoza

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
Wouldn't that cause some odd artifacting on most Turbo games, assuming the screen resizes content instead of just displaying it with a black border. I hate LCD resizing. CRTs are much better about making it look good.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

thesteve

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
actually a 480i display will display 240p without scaling as they are the same format

thesteve

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
note you should get about 5.5 hours on the average NiMh batterys