Author Topic: Duo Dying  (Read 244 times)

mburghdorf

Duo Dying
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »
My TurboDuo has issues paying music during Lords of Thunder and the Gates of Thunder disk doesn't show the graphics properly. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering picking up a cd rom to go with my pc engine and am wondering which one would be better ... the briefcase or the super cd rom unit that attaches to the back of the pc engine? I've heard that there have been problems with the regular cd rom unit but I haven't heard much about the super cd rom unit. Any infomation here would be greatly appreciated.

BigusSchmuck

Re: Duo Dying
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Are you running your duo on a newer tv? The new flat screens from the past couple of years or so try to upscale the graphics on your duo to 480p hence the weird graphical errors. Have you replaced the caps on your duo or have your cd drive replaced? There are members on this forum that does repair work on these machines. As for your pc engine unit, its almost cheaper just to get a duo-r vs getting a cd unit by itself and as far as I know, the cd units only come with system card 2.0, you'll have to get system card 3.0 in order to play super cd games.

Edit: nevermind, I didn't relealize you can get a super cd rom 2 unit without having to get a system card 3.0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Super-CD-ROM-Console-NEC-TurboGrafx-/150715208548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2317539364
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:25:25 AM by BigusSchmuck »

Gao

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
If the issue is that the CD audio is too quiet, a short term solution might be to use headphones or to plug some computer speakers into the headphones jack.  For some reason, at least in my Duo, the audio comes out fine there.

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
I'd get in touch with user thesteve on here and have him repair your Duo.  A repaired / cap swapped duo is probably your most reliable best bet for gaming use :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

HercTNT

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
Listen to Blue. I had thesteve recap my GT and he's recapping a duo for a friend of mine. guy does great work.

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
I'd offer to do it, but I'm so backed up on repairs right now, I dont think you want to wait until march for it :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

rag-time4

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
My TurboDuo has issues paying music during Lords of Thunder and the Gates of Thunder disk doesn't show the graphics properly. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering picking up a cd rom to go with my pc engine and am wondering which one would be better ... the briefcase or the super cd rom unit that attaches to the back of the pc engine? I've heard that there have been problems with the regular cd rom unit but I haven't heard much about the super cd rom unit. Any infomation here would be greatly appreciated.

both the briefcase and the super cdrom2 have reliability issues. as noted, the super cdrom2 does have the benefit of a built in system 3.0, so you will be able to play right away. The super cdrom2 is also compatible with arcade card duo.

a briefcase and cdrom2 will require a system card of some kind to play any cd games, and is compatible with arcade card pro, not arcade card duo, which usually costs a few more bucks.

the duo-r and duo-rx are your best bet for reliability and cost effectiveness, but may not have the fun factor of building around your original pce!