Author Topic: Needing To Fix My Turbo Express  (Read 234 times)

Retrocool

Needing To Fix My Turbo Express
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
Seems everyone has a problem with the sound for the Express, but my issue are the buttons.  Mainly Select & Start ..... I do not want to open it up as I am not that tech savvy, but needing help and suggestions to get it fixed?
It is what it is and it will be what it will be!

Looking for some games, but I will prolly never find.  Sapphire, Magical Chase (US)

HercTNT

Re: Needing To Fix My Turbo Express
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
Right above this thread is an entire topic on fixing the turbo express.  You should read up on it. If your not tech savy you might wanna look up forum member thesteve. He repairs expresses. He has repaired mine and a friend of mines recently, and does an excellent job. you can trust him.

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
Sounds to me like either the rubber pads are going bad or the contacts on the board that the pads touch is dirty. If you are not afraid to open up the express then here is what you should try. Use a q tip and rubbing alcohol to really rub the board where the start and select buttons touch. I have fixed many controllers this way. If this doesn't fix it then you will most likely need a replacement start and select rubber button pad. You will have to remove 3 cables from the motherboard when you open up the system. They just pull right out by hand. Just make sure to be gentle when doing so. Once you have the three cables disconnected you will be able to access the front portion of the system very easily. Just remove the few phillips screws to get to the front of the controller board.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:38:30 PM by Keith Courage »

Retrocool

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
Thanks guys...
It is what it is and it will be what it will be!

Looking for some games, but I will prolly never find.  Sapphire, Magical Chase (US)

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:19:25 AM »
I've heard of a fix for button pads that were too worn or dirty, glue a piece of tin foil to the bottom of the pad where the carbon coating is/was. I've never done this so I have no idea if it would work, but it does make some sense and seems like it would fix an otherwise non working pad. I've fixed plenty just by scraping it with a knife and roughing it up a bit as well as cleaning the board contact area.

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
#2 pencil conducts
clean first, restore carbon with pencil.
the foil works as well, but can come loose