Author Topic: Better sound  (Read 359 times)

HercTNT

Better sound
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
Ok, this is purely a technical question, so please give me your thoughts. In the Hardocp forums a few years back, I saw a guy that changed all caps and replaced the op amps on his sound card. He did not use just any caps either, supposedly he had special Audio grade caps. The question is, just like Steve pointed out it was possible to add caps to filter out the video, Is it possible to improve the audio of your duo?  Would so called "audio grade caps" make a difference. Are thier op amps that can be replaced with better ones?

thesteve

Re: Better sound
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »
audio grading caps is like VGA grading games.
using a "low ESR" capacitor such as a ceramic or a solid tantalum will improve it some.
the amps used are good for audio (you wont see an improvement by changing them)

nat

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
Audio grade caps, HAHAHAHAHAHA, holy shit, that's the funniest thing I've heard all year.

HercTNT

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
thats why i referred to them as "so called" audio grade caps and deferred to your expertise.
However devices such as these do not exist? or are you saying they dont work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Axial-PHILIPS-330uF-100V-AMP-TONE-AUDIO-GRADE-CAPS-/320809306657?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ab1b98a21

My father in law runs a music studio and used to build the EMP Protection circuits for the presidential helicopters at sikorsky helicopters in conneticut.
He claims there are definately different cap types, especially the "tone caps" for guitars posted above. I have no idea, thats why i asked. I figured if such a thing did exist, would it help board level audio?

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
lol thats just a low ESR cap

HercTNT

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
Thats cool. thats why i asked. My father and law and i were discussing that sound card mod i mentioned. Lets just say we dont always see eye to eye on things. He knows i have been doing alot of soldering lately and working with caps. Whenever i do anything he usually tells me why i'm doing it wrong, why he could do it better, or something along those lines.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
The PCE has shitty sound. There really isn't anything you can do about it.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
I think the only thing worth pointing out is that shitty caps will degrade over time faster, causing your audio to degrade or die also. On Pci sound cards though, those cards do not run at high temps, and are usually placed in a place with decent space or air flow, so the caps on them last a pretty long time as they are normally already rated for 85c or 105c and have low esr, like the Luxon and Rubycon low esr caps, Sanyo OS-CONS, and most normal decent SMD caps, etc. Higher end sound cards released today with high quality Japanese solid caps, even more so. Back in the ISA days, sound cards really did have noticeable varying sound qualities when you compared cards though. This was due to a number of factors, not just limited to the types of caps used, but also due to how components on the cards were laid out. A good example would be the AWE32. It had a messy layout and was pretty noisy. The AWE64 corrected much of that problem by streamlining everything.

All of this is almost moot for the average guy just running a $50-200 dollar speaker set up who cant tell the difference in sound quality from a Hercules Muse XL, Turtle Beach Montego, and a SB Live! Value.  About the only way your going to notice any kind of sound quality difference really is with some good sound measuring/monitoring equipment spitting out data for you to view, or a really high end sound system in a room with padded walls and great acoustics. Otherwise, all this amounts to maybe is a really picky person hearing noise or clarity that isn't really there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:44:25 PM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Duo_R

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
The PCE has shitty sound. There really isn't anything you can do about it.

Makes me think of the crystal clear sound mod that was done a while back on the Genesis 2
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

HercTNT

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
I dont consider the PCE to have shitty sound at all. just wanted to know if it could be filtered like the video could. Professor, thanks for the clarification, that helped alot. I liked that better than, it sounds like shit, or thats the funniest thing i ever heard. Atleast i learned something.