Author Topic: [EXPLETIVE DELETED] on a stick. My Duo is down!  (Read 819 times)

jayamine

[EXPLETIVE DELETED] on a stick. My Duo is down!
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Had all the caps changed in December and had the board scrubbed with cleaning formula. Had a new HOP-M3 put in and had the pots tweaked.

Made an English patched Startling Odyssey II. Wouldn't boot. Now the Duo won't move at all. Put in my regular Gate of Thunder disc. Won't spin. Nothing will spin, not even audio CDs (Still have a spare HOP-M3 lying around ... but I think it's been tweaked too)

Anyone know how to fix this? Is a gear stuck or did my little old laser eye die?
The sequel to Splatter House should be called Circle Jerk.

Bernie

Re: [EXPLETIVE DELETED] on a stick. My Duo is down!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »
I believe you have a stuck gear.  Been talking about it with chop in chat.  He will most likely chime in here for ya.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
Yeah, this is a textbook "the CDR put my laser too far out" issue. Open the door, is the laser on the end of its travel? If so, just shove it back a little bit, like 1cm. The system will take it from there.

You can take the system apart and wind it back, or you can just...shove it a bit. Either way works fine. This seems to be an issue with black Duos and CDRs. It's never happened to me on my IFU or Duo R systems.

jayamine

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
I have ENG patched Xak3 and Ys4. They always work fine. Even my SFZ worked fine. Guess I didn't write the patched SO2 properly.

You're right. The eye is as far right as possible. Kind of afraid to just push it with my fingers. Don't want to apply too much pressure and break something.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:00:01 PM by jayamine »

nat

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
Guess I didn't write the patched SO2 properly.

It doesn't have anything to do with proper or improper burns.

You simply roll the dice every time you play a CDR in a Duo. The fact that it happened on your SO2 burn and not the others owes more to coincidence than anything else.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Yeah the main lens gear could be getting stuck. You can just manually move it with your finger to get it going again. If it starts getting stuck more and more over time you should replace the motor that moves the gear.

jayamine

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I'm afraid to actually touch the lens. Not sure where exactly to apply pressure and push. Tried firmly but gently, wouldn't budge, Was afraid to push any harder.

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
Don't touch the lens itself. Spin the motor with your finger. It is a white spiral looking thing.

jayamine

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
Oh you mean I have to get inside it? I don't have a screw bit for that.

Keith Courage

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
Yes, unfortunately you have to get inside and I can't think of any hardware store that sells that kind of bit. maybe someone else here can think of a place? It is a 4.5mm security bit http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-MM-Security-Screw-Removal-Bit-Sega-Genesis-Game-/390308285279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae02fcb5f

There are some cheaper ones out there that you can buy but this one is made so much better and will last much longer.

jayamine

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »
When I had my caps changed, I replaced the screws with regular phillips head. I can borrow a bit small enough. Sounds easy enough, I might try to do it myself. Are there instructions posted anywhere so that I dont accidentally destroy something in the process?

Oh and I read another post about putting a better gear in place while its open. How much more skill does that require and where can I find a bronze gear in the right size?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
To my knowledge there is no reason to replace gears in a Duo. Maybe you are thinking of CDROM2 drives?

Anyway, don't touch the lens itself, just find something thin to pry the sled just one notch over closer to the spindle. Something like...I don't know, a X Acto knife or something. It just has to be shoved the slightest bit so that it can get back into the range of travel.

Or just take the top off, wind the gear just a little bit so that the laser moves back a bit.

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
yeah, no reason to change a gear in a DUO. If it gets stuck at all it is either due to a bad CDR making the lens move to far or the motor that drives the gear wearing out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:32:30 PM by Keith Courage »

soop

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
Honestly, I know you're a little freaked out, but from my experience with the white CD ROM drives, they're actually pretty sturdy.  I doubt you'll actually break anything.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
Dude, *I* opened a CD unit and f*cked around inside.

I've got about as much finesse as a rhino.  You'll be fine.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.